• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Ethan Ampadu

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
Do we know for sure that he didn't sign a contract? If he didn't, then there is no negotiation, is there? It's a set fee, isn't it?

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Do we know for sure that he didn't sign a contract? If he didn't, then there is no negotiation, is there? It's a set fee, isn't it?
The Club have said

was free to talk to other clubs having yet to sign scholarship forms at St James Park

Benguin

Very dissappointed with this transfer. Like others I hoped he would sign and stay a couple of years then move for a decent fee. I guess the lure of the bright lights was too much for the lad.

Still only a very slim chance of ever playing for their first team, Chelsea have the money to buy up young prospects and see if any actually mature into decent top level players. History suggests very few actually make it via this route.

LDNGrecian

I think he's too young to go out on loan.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
I think he's too young to go out on loan.
I think so to. The facilities they have at Cobham is phenomenal. It should keep him contented football wise until he's 18. Though it would be good to have him back.

Pobbop

Maybe because I'm always a miserable ****er, but I always thought this was massive odds-on fave (actually to Arsenal rather than Chelsea), TBH he and his father have never said anything else, he was here to finish his education, that helps City get more money in compensation, and yet he was always going to a big club. I always gathered that was the deal. In the end he could have just left at 14 or younger,and we really would have got next to nothing, so don't slag him or his advisers off, the fact he played for us, and stayed with the academy that long, will mean more cash.

It's clearly far from ideal, but what the **** is when you meet with the Prem spending power.

IndoMike

The Club have said
Thanks, Hants. So, technically, he wasn't even our player when he signed for Chelsea.... Oh well, it's the way of the world. Good luck to him and bad luck to us (probably).

Legohead

Banned
You can't blame the lad. Sadly the stats show that it's pretty much nailed on that he'll not get any opportunity to play for Chelsea in the first team but he'll get some invaluable experience along the way to signing for someone like MK Dons in 5 years. Lots of money too.

I think most people in his position may have done the same.

andrew p long

You can't blame the lad. Sadly the stats show that it's pretty much nailed on that he'll not get any opportunity to play for Chelsea in the first team but he'll get some invaluable experience along the way to signing for someone like MK Dons in 5 years. Lots of money too.

I think most people in his position may have done the same.
Have to agree. Lots of money- indeed. A Prem manager was moaning recently about having to deal with teenage millionaire footballers who have never played any first team football. Can't blame Ethan for getting what will doubtless be a healthy contract that should set him up financially. The risk was that f he'd stayed at City and got a career ending injury then he'd miss out on the big bucks.

DB9

Shame to see him go but wish him well, I would not have had Chelsea as a potential suitor, Think i would have preferred somewhere like Southampton, They have a brilliant academy and seem to have a real knack of developing young talent and so many of them see 1st team football and have moved on to bigger things, Chelsea on the other hand like to buy in talent and just farm off their youngsters to smaller clubs