• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Cheltenham Town v Exeter City Matchday Thread

rp42

No holding on in evidence today we pushed on and could have had 5, should have had 4 had Watkins not blazed over in the last min of stoppage time..
Just a question i would like to know is how will the Club manage next season when so many S/T holders give up on the Home form and join all you great Away traveller's who get to see so many goals and missed chances you are well blessed cos at Home we just get to see all the boring stuff.

Billy The Fish

Well-known Exeweb poster
Wheeler also picked up a soft Yellow after celebrating with us behind the goal.

Billy The Fish

Well-known Exeweb poster
On Ethan's booking,he spent all 90 minutes exercising/warming up. Late on the ball went out for a throw in near him and he (ahem) misplaced his pass so that it didn't go to the opposition player who got riled and came over and (I think) pushed out at Ethan. The sort of thing that in modern football goes down as 'game management' . The whole incident was a minor distraction which slowed the game and Cheltenham's momentum.
Their player shoved Ethan with both hands into his chest, Ethan went a couple of paces backwards. Something and nothing but you could see why the ref carded him.

The referee made some bizarre decisions, not only the penalty shout, we were clear in on goal one on one when he stopped play and awarded us a free kick.

PeteUSA

Very well known Exeweb poster
I thought Pym was a bit poor with their equaliser. Okay the forward was clean through, but none the less a half hearted attempt at stopping a shot without getting hurt.

LOG

Thought we were lucky to go into half time at 0-0 with them having hit the post and bar whilst we created little at the other end. They had at least three players who seemed to tower over ours so looked potentially dangerous at set pieces but, as it happened, whilst they might have been tall then weren't capable of actually winning a header.

Even when we went 1-0 they didn't seem to really change the way they played and just carried on the same. Ok, they equalised but they didn't do anything else of note and the same happened at 2-1 and 3-1. There was an almighty scramble in our goalmouth in the second half but it was difficult to see exactly what happened from the away end.

All in all a good three points but 3-1 probably flattered us a little.

I'm not a big fan of Mat Oakley, but thought he was immense this afternoon. Good positioning, some great headers, and kept possession when he won the ball. Some cute ten yards passes around the corner to get us moving and stop Cheltenham's momentum.
Troy Brown also won a lot of ball, but continuously gave it back to the opposition. Someone needs to have a serious word with him about his poor distribution.
A great atmosphere, and an even better result.
I cannot fault any of the boys efforts, with some real humdinger challenges from Woody and Jake T. A really enjoyable afternoon out, despite the rain!

Billy The Fish

Well-known Exeweb poster
I've given Craig Woodman pelters on here before but, credit where it's due, today he had a fine game. Assured and confident, neat on the ball, injecting energy into our play with quick throw-ins , he's turned into precisely what we needed at left back.

One stand out moment was a great tackle that broke up a dangerous attack. Well done Woody, more of the same please.

Last edited:

richard_portland

Backing Gary Caldwell, thanks Matt and good luck.
Did Tillson play central defence when he came on? Flat back four today, or a three?

Ashford Grecian

I'm not a big fan of Mat Oakley, but thought he was immense this afternoon. Good positioning, some great headers, and kept possession when he won the ball. Some cute ten yards passes around the corner to get us moving and stop Cheltenham's momentum.
Agree totally he looked in complete control and yet I still heard moans and groans around me that he was playing instead of Tillson

Athelstan

I can't remember if this was after our second or our third goal: