• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Liverpool v Exeter City - Official Matchday Thread

iscalad

Very well known Exeweb poster
Obviously it was much bigger but the anfield road end in itself wasn't particularly impressive. The club have been accused of being unambitious in terms of the new grandstand but I would imagine if it gets built it will be more comfortable to sit in than the Liverpool away end.
It would be difficult to make it more uncomfortable in the away end.

Ken Dodd

Hiya greekies,
We gave you what you deserved the other night.
What was your gaffer doing with them old gits.
You could have beaten us first time but like I said we scousers make you money.
Hope you spend some of it on your crappy away end so I don't freeze me ******** off next time.
Best of luck for rest of season
Tarra
Love Ken

Swanaldo

I was in 125 as well, was he a short stocky older chap ?
This guy?

Herbert_-_Family_Guy.jpg

He tried getting all of Block 125 to sit down, with little success. Minutes later he was all but toe-to-toe with a city fan on the end of row 17(?). Looked like he got a bollocking from the Head Steward not long after and soon disappeared.

Alistair20000

This guy?

View attachment 769

He tried getting all of Block 125 to sit down, with little success. Minutes later he was all but toe-to-toe with a city fan on the end of row 17(?). Looked like he got a bollocking from the Head Steward not long after and soon disappeared.
Cut the selfies Swanny. :)

geoffwp

Was about to ask how he had got a pic of me Al.

Red Devon

Tisdale let the club the fans and himself down by making us look like the San Marino of club football with that laugh able team selection in the first half...what an utter joke he has become.

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
As I said before, it's the kiss of death when you hear that Oakley, Butterfield AND Morrison are all in the team. It smells like Tisdale just wanted to give his buddies,and clearly they are his buddies, another chance in the limelight. What will the younger players who were left out at the start think? Have we ever won a game with any two of those three starting? We could never beat Liverpool playing slow, possession football. It had to be park the bus with fast counter-attacks or nothing. Did Tisdale not take this game seriously ? Money already in the bank?
But you have to say that Ribs, Brown, JMT, and the keeper, except one error, played really well. And the team did try. But the midfield? What midfield?
I could understand Tisdale reverting to his usual approach and trying to contain Liverpool at least for the first half before becoming more attack minded later in the game. I could even understand him starting with the OAPs on the basis that unlike our younger players they will have had experience of playing at the likes of Anfield but that experience is no good if their legs have gone and they are so far over the hill that they should all be retired and taking it easy relaxing in pastures green.

Sadly Tisdale seems unable to recognise this blindingly obvious and basic fact. It was to say the least a very negative approach ok we had no Noble (a major loss) but we had Tilson who since his arrival on the scene has been a revelation and played a major part in getting us to the third round, young and eager to show the watching thousands both at Anfield and on TV what he could do. Tisdale leaving him on the bench when our midfield was being totally overrun and virtually non existence was a major error.

As others have said had we started with the same line up (less of course Noble) as at SJP we may well have been vulnerable to the quick counter attack but at least we would have given the Liverpool defence something to think about as it was Mignolet could have spent the whole of the first half leaning against the upright watching you tube on his iPad breaking off occasionally to take the odd goal kick.

Where in my opinion Tisdale got it really wrong was by leaving Tom and Wheeler, if fit, on the bench leaving Tom in particular after his barn storming performance at SJP totally hacked off and unable to understand Tisdale's stance. It could be said that they could have come on with the attitude of OK now I will show him but I think the damage had already been done and it was noticeable from watching on the TV that having been treated as they had been neither of them looked exactly fired up.

Tisdale's eventual end of match interview was a disgrace and embarrassing to listen to, he more or less seemed to suggest that he thought we had never had a chance of winning and that we were just there to make up the numbers on the night. Frankly unlike the 6,000 plus Grecians who made the trip I do not think he did take the game that seriously. He totally let the supporters down he was back to his old somewhat arrogant self, you can't touch me and I know it.

Antony Moxey

Rather amusing watching the build up to Norwich v Liverpool this lunchtime on BT Sport. The pundits are sagely opining that of course the best way to beat Liverpool is to get men behind the ball and hit them on the break. Isn't this what we were hoping to do in the first half at Anfield a couple of days ago, and were roundly criticised for by the very same channel?

grecIAN Harris

Rather amusing watching the build up to Norwich v Liverpool this lunchtime on BT Sport. The pundits are sagely opining that of course the best way to beat Liverpool is to get men behind the ball and hit them on the break. Isn't this what we were hoping to do in the first half at Anfield a couple of days ago, and were roundly criticised for by the very same channel?
But to do that, you need to have pace to counter with. Clinton hasn't got any. Oakley hasn't got any (to the point where Clinton had actually managed to hold the ball up long enough for him to nearly be in support but lose it, Liverpool be on the edge of our box and Oakley was justabout managing to get on to the edge of the screen). Butterfield hasn't got any. All the pace we had was sat on the bench. By the time they came on, Liverpool had the pattern of the game under total control.

IndoMike

No! Some of the fans were hoping that, but how could we hit them on the break with Oakley, Butterfield and Morrison on the field. How could any of those break forward quickly?