• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

One of the great nights to be a Grecian

Alan Crockford

Well-known Exeweb poster
Five reasons why thie was one of the great nights to be a Grecian:

1, WE DID IT OURSELVES
We’re well into our second decade of running the club, and this tie has helped us get recognition for it. We’re kind of used to being called ‘in many ways a model club’ but think about it: 7.55pm on prime time BBC and that’s how we - little, scruffy, often hopeless Exeter City - get described. How many watching Prem fans want our credibility? How many crisis stricken clubs want our stability? It should mean the world to us, fellow Grecians. And all this achieved by us working (or arguing and fighting!) off the back of Gnet emails, Exeweb threads and some in-pub plotting early this century. We can’t stop fretting and fussing and running to stand still, because football is ruthlessly competitive, but let’s take this weekend to remember the strides taken together from Conference despair via Old Trafford miracle, Wembley glory, League One high-points, Devon derby wins and a draw against Liverpool to where we find ourselves tonight. And smile!

2. WE’RE NOT GOING BUST
Our finances were looking healthy enough with Grimesy money banked and some decent returns from the FA Cup this season, and now we have a sell out SJP, a big TV payday PLUS a replay at Anfield to help keep us going. Just ask Ivor Doble how well we’re doing to keep a League club bobbing along without needing an enthusiastic rich bloke to keep writing cheques…

3. WE ENTERTAINED THE NATION
A City side with a genuinely good mix of youngsters, 20-somethings and experienced players entertained a peak time BBC audience with some exciting, positive football. And we get a result against one of the greats of world football.

4. WE ALL TALKED WELL
City’s fans - be they celebs, directors or the rank and file - spoke superbly to the media, with passion, pride and common sense. Tis and the players (inc Tommy Nick, again, who’s a superb talker) also showed their character and affection for our club in their media work.

5. AND WE ALL SANG TOGETHER
Well, most of YOU did, as I wasn’t there! But the atmosphere at the ground was brilliant, and it came across so, so well on television. I may be a 44-year-old with a massive mortgage, but at heart I’m still a 14-year-old just wanting the whole world to see how lovely the planet's most wonderful football ground looks and sounds. And tonight, I couldn’t have been more proud. Huge thanks to every one of you who sang, clapped or even banged a bleddy drum. You were glorious.

AND I COULD GO ON...
And I’ve not mentioned our fantastic young players coming through the ranks or the hope that we’ll get the support of the Council for plans to further improve St James Park. (Actually, there’s a thought - could that be our Old Grandstand’s last glory glory night? Not a bad way to begin our fond farewell to the dangerously asbestos filled, freakily green clad old lady.)

We're in a really good place, and tonight showed that to ourselves and a few million others.

Bleddy brilliant City. I'm mighty proud to be a Grecian, and I hope you are too. x

mumbo

Very well said Alan, I agree 100%

Always proud to be a Grecian but especially tonight.

Elaine.

RaeUK

Cleaner
Staff member
Quite so, Mr C, a good night to be a Grecian. [G]

ChrisWickens

Just got back from the Park and sitting down to watch the recording!

Great, great night and well written Alan - thank you.

Lenny

Sums the evening up well Alan. Spot on.

MikeGrecian

actually quite emotional tonight.Tonight was a blinder,from the bar staff to the players i was proud tonight.A 100% was given by all.

sumner7

Administrator
Staff member
Post of the year IMO Alan. What a night. [G]

budegrecian

Yes. everything Mr Crockford says.

Proud to be a Grecian.

Plus the programme; as already discussed.
The Blimp; what a great idea that was.
Red Legion from start to finish... are they still there, on the BB now, singing?... Brilliant.

Nights don't come much better.If only, though......if only......

denzel

Very well known Exeweb poster
Good to know we were heard on the box. I was in the middle of the Bank. Fans were great, view was perfect and the atmosphere was brilliant. I'd like to add another one though, the pitch played brilliantly given the circumstances (Torquay have called their game off! ). Let's hope for a billiard table at Anfield.

AlanDevlin

Great OP- agree with it all.

Good coverage and PR for us from (almost) end to end..... Great job by the sound men to get the live sound into our sitting rooms, and make it sound like a cauldron of sound throughout....

A night to stand very favourably beside the '81 Newcastle game- and we scored direct from a corner in that one too.

Great to wake up a Grecian this morning.