• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Best case scenaro incoming finance by 01/01/2015 = £2million. How would you spend it?

IF today's developments are correct we have the potential (no guarantee) of getting in around £2million of external finance by 01/01/2015 made up of £1.75m for Grimes and £250k from the Transfer Fund (good luck that man!!!). IF it all comes off, how would you spend it if you were in control of the situation???

Personally this is how I would distribute the new finance:

Retained Working Capital = £300k
Transfer/Playing Budget = £400k (£250k is compulsory)
Clearing of existing and historical debts = £300k (not sure what the true debt position is?) *1 see below
4G Pitch = £600k *2 see below
Old Grandstand repairs = £100k
Other training ground improvements = £100k
Asset investment = £200k *3 see below

*1 I am not aware of what debts the club has other than to the TRUST so I have put a nominal figure in there to cover anything we are not aware of. If debt is less than £300k I would redistribute those funds to the Asset investment line.

*2 Personally I think the 4G Pitch is a priority due to the fact that the likes of Ethan Ampadu and Jack Sparkes are likely at some point before their 16th birthdays to move to clubs higher up the food chain and therefore by getting the 4G Pitch which is the only thing stopping us from getting Category 2 status for the academy then it becomes relatively self financing in the fact that at Cat 2 status for 15 years old who have been at the club since 9 years old, we will get £109k for each player as a basic fee as opposed to £59k for Cat 3 status. Having this pitch would also help to increase the level of existing young 1st team players as well as hopefully helping to develop the 'next' Matt Grimes. Also I would run a campaign along the lines of 'Light up the Park' to get further finance and contributions from ECFC fans to allow for more money from this incoming finance to be moved to the Asset investment line.

*3 By 'Asset investment' I mean either purchasing physical assets like houses to rent to players etc when they more to the club or if possible purchasing land or buildings needed to facilitate the stadium redevelopment in the future (RIGHTWING??). By actually 'owning' assets of this type it will increase the clubs leverage if it needed to borrow money in the future for the redevelopment.

The big thing for me is that to get the maximum benefit from this opportunity, rather than the TRUST and the fan base thinking 'brilliant I don't have to donate to the TRUST or fund raise for the club as much now' they need to be thinking 'if I/WE push even HARDER now then we have a great opportunity to break the glass ceiling which this club supposedly has'.

Last edited:

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
I think we should attempt to buy Ronaldo (the fat one).

I think we should attempt to buy Ronaldo (the fat one).
£2million would buy the burgers but what about the player????? ;-)

flakey pasty

My priority would be a new "Old Grandstand".
Any ideas how much that would cost?

Grecian2K

Very well known Exeweb poster
My priority would be a new "Old Grandstand".
Any ideas how much that would cost?
Ten Grimes + A Pym's and and Ampadu as a chaser?

WXF

For the sake of argument - seeking to become a category 2 academy sounds attractive. Otherwise, I'd wish to start negotiation with the City Council to buy back St James Park, using the money as a significant deposit for a mortgage for this purpose. It's a big ask, but becoming its own landlord would be another great achievement for the club in the Trust era.

Last edited:

eurogrecian

What about a pay rise for Tis and Taggy and a new jag for Mr Perryman?

grecIAN Harris

Surely a new grandstand to replace the Well Street structure is a must. Part of any attraction is the accommodation and our dear old grandstand just doesn't cut it any more not to mention it's a Valley Parade disaster waiting to happen.

Alistair20000

Surely a new grandstand to replace the Well Street structure is a must. Part of any attraction is the accommodation and our dear old grandstand just doesn't cut it any more not to mention it's a Valley Parade disaster waiting to happen.
A very good choice; even a necessity.

Alistair20000

For the sake of argument - seeking to become a category 2 academy sounds attractive. Otherwise, I'd wish to start negotiation with the City Council to buy back St James Park, using the money as a significant deposit for a mortgage for this purpose. It's a big ask, but becoming its own landlord would be another great achievement for the club in the Trust era.
I doubt that the Council will sell the ground to the Club. It might sell it to the Trust.