• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter Christmas Market

RaeUK

Cleaner
Staff member
Always enjoyed Christmas in Germany.

Last edited:

Mid Devon Clown

I asked both the city council and the city centre manager how they were arrived at but, thus far, neither has been able to come up with an answer.
It is of course, impossible to say how many people 'attended' an open-air event with no entry restrictions. Pretty sure it wasn't half a million people though. I have not dealt with Mr Harvey directly, but know several people who have and they are always keen to discuss their experiences and opinions of the man.

And to address other posts, at no point was last year's event billed as a 'German' market. (Although I believe events in previous years were).

CREDYGRECIAN

Very well known Exeweb poster
Loving the free flowing entertaining football at S
I went , sunday afternoon before xmas , was bloody good too , lovely smells , cheeky pint , nice stalls , nice vibe....nice afternoon out.

Mid Devon Clown

Rosy-cheeked Polish maidens?

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
I went , sunday afternoon before xmas , was bloody good too , lovely smells , cheeky pint , nice stalls , nice vibe....nice afternoon out.
That's as maybe. My query is how many people were or weren't there.

CREDYGRECIAN

Loving the free flowing entertaining football at S
That's as maybe. My query is how many people were or weren't there.
it was very busy the day I went , id suggest there was a few hundred if not more there....

Mid Devon Clown

8 confirmed from this thread alone.

I wonder what the population of Exeter's retail catchment area is? Let's be generous and include Plymouth, Torbay, Barnstaple and Honiton - after all it was Christmas.

Hey for the sake of argument let's be really generous and call the catchment area 'Devon' - it makes the maths easier.

The population of Devon is (for all intents and purposes) 1 million people.

So half of Devon not only visited our fair capital, but converged on one small patch of it over a 30 day period? That is big news!

angelic upstart

What about repeat visitors?

I would imagine 200,000 footfall would be realistic.

Mid Devon Clown

it was very busy the day I went , id suggest there was a few hundred if not more there....
Let's say 1000.

1000 people x 30 days. I don't have a calculator but that's about 30,000.

Either you can't count, or John Harvey is talking out of his arse.

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
And that's my point. For the half-a-million figure to stack up, there'd have to be close to 2,000 visitors* inside every minute of every day the market was open.

*Assuming people stay for an average of an hour; if you assume they only stay for half an hour then you can half the number of people who would have to be in there at any one time.