• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

New year - new rant

dommers

I expected a lot of Stewart when he joined.
Why? He had been at another League One club in Yeovil for two years and had hardly set the world alight there.

grecianfish

Why? He had been at another League One club in Yeovil for two years and had hardly set the world alight there.
He was a player with pedigree and a good goalscoring record. Just because he'd a couple of bad years I still he thought he could be an exciting signing. Just because he didn't do much at Yeovil didn't necessarily mean he wouldn't do anything for us. Look at Cureton - he'd gone a few years and a few clubs struggling to hit the back of a barn door and then he knocked in 20 goals for us at 34!

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
I still don't understand why you would expect more from an ex-premier league. Surely the whole point of them being an ex-premier league player is that they are not good enough for that level and to expect any more than that of an a league one player is simply wrong.

You would expect an 18 and a 35 year old playing in the same team to be there on equal merit? Age is irrelevant it is down to ability that determines whether you play?
I can't prove it but my guess is that most City fans would have had higher expectations from Stewart than (say) from Tom Nichols. We normally expect more from someone with proven experience than from someone who is an unknown quantity. If Tom Nichols scored 15 goals this season, then we would have expectations from him next season : 15 goals or more.

grecIAN Harris

I can't prove it but my guess is that most City fans would have had higher expectations from Stewart than (say) from Tom Nichols. We normally expect more from someone with proven experience than from someone who is an unknown quantity. If Tom Nichols scored 15 goals this season, then we would have expectations from him next season : 15 goals or more.
It's easy to prove. It's called age, experience and knowledge. A player of Stewarts calibre came with a lot of all of them. What he didn't have because of his age was the pace that, combined with the above, had made him lethal with Ipswich. Football fans easily remember what players had but tend to forget what they haven't got anymore from the glory days when they arrive at their club.

dommers

It's easy to prove. It's called age, experience and knowledge. A player of Stewarts calibre came with a lot of all of them. What he didn't have because of his age was the pace that, combined with the above, had made him lethal with Ipswich. Football fans easily remember what players had but tend to forget what they haven't got anymore from the glory days when they arrive at their club.
Stewart was never blessed with pace.

Poultice

Rhodes will get more caps than him for Scotland.
But less goals in the Premiership.

wemissmoxey

I agree however he was sh*t for us, do you agree of disagree Dom ?

grecIAN Harris

He was no slouch either.

wemissmoxey

He was no slouch either.
Quicker than Mackie ?

grecIAN Harris

Quicker than Mackie ?
Ever read where I've said Mackie was slow?