• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Tottenham riots

StroudGrecian

Very well known Exeweb poster
If he wasn't a ****** up alky he might have realised he was walking into a police cordon. Just saying, like.

The demonstration was supposed to be peaceful. So why the petrol bombs? There'd be a lot more credence to this "The Police are to blame blah blah blah" if it was an Amritsar-like massacre rather than petrol bombs flying around all over the shop and everywhere being looted.

Why was the chap who was shot dead armed in the first place?
You are a tw*t sometimes Jason. Hope the next time you've had one over the proverbial you don't run into a 'police cordon'.

There have been generations of mistrust and hatred of the Met by a sizeable minority of Londoners, much of it well earned. I don't condone violence and petrol bombs but if you want to have a sensible debate on this you cannot ignore the wider context, or expect people to wait for another Amritsar before 'retaliating first'.

mfcrocker

But I know we'll meet again, some sunny day...
Rioting is not something reasonable people do at all; let alone lightly. Any democratic and tolerant society can and should accept peaceful protest. Violent rioting is just wrong.
I disagree entirely - when reasonable people are put under enough pressure/are desperate enough they will fight.

Remember that peaceful protest achieves precisely f*ck all.

mfcrocker

If he wasn't a ****** up alky he might have realised he was walking into a police cordon. Just saying, like.
I assume the copper is just getting tried for manslaughter for fun then? Oh wait no, it's because the Met are f*cking thugs.

BigBanker

Well-known Exeweb poster
I assume the copper is just getting tried for manslaughter for fun then? Oh wait no, it's because the Met are f*cking thugs.
If you want to discredit people for generalising about the rioters it would be best to not make equally inaccurate sweeping generalisations about the Met.

What % of the Met do you think are f*cking thugs?

mfcrocker

If you want to discredit people for generalising about the rioters it would be best to not make equally inaccurate sweeping generalisations about the Met.

What % of the Met do you think are f*cking thugs?
Fair cop there. To actually answer your question, the vast majority of those who deal with public order.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
I'm not saying anything about the actual events culminating in his death. What I am saying is that had he been aware of what was going on around him he would have steered clear. I know even in my most pi55ed up state I'd have noticed if there were hundreds of police and thousands of baying protestors running around.

So, anyone got an answer for why people would turn up to demonstrate peacefully armed with petrol bombs?

Poultice

Very well known Exeweb poster
Hell, the Enfield riots were largely down to the recent closure of 2/3rds of the youth centres there, and there's video interviews confirming as such
Breaking News:-

F*ck wit kids, Crims and general Scum Bags have prepared excuse that fools Exeweb div into believing they are nice people.

Next Week.

Savage, child murdering serial killer says it was society's fault, so that's alright then.

BigBanker

Well-known Exeweb poster
So, anyone got an answer for why people would turn up to demonstrate peacefully armed with petrol bombs?
Those who turned up armed and with petrol bombs were, clearly, not intending to demonstrate peacefully.

That doesn't mean that the majority of those demonstrating were intending for it to be anything other than peaceful, it just means that those who hi-jacked the protest had planned to do so prior to the event.

BigBanker

Well-known Exeweb poster
To actually answer your question, the vast majority of those who deal with public order.
Why do you think that?

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Those who turned up armed and with petrol bombs were, clearly, not intending to demonstrate peacefully.

That doesn't mean that the majority of those demonstrating were intending for it to be anything other than peaceful, it just means that those who hi-jacked the protest had planned to do so prior to the event.
Indeed, hasn't stopped it all being the police's fault, apparently.

Anyone answered yet why the person who was shot was armed in the first place?