• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Charity Match for Cancer Research

PeteUSA

Very well known Exeweb poster
Nice is not a description to be used about the playing facilities at Wingfield Park in any way, shape or manner. After the match would be great but the playing facilities are nothing short of a disgrace. The pitch is diabolical (how it ever graced Western League football is a matter only the Gods can answer) and if you swung a cat by his tail in the changing rooms therre would be claret everywhere.
I agree with the changing room bit Ian, but it appears to be getting to the 'any port in a storm' situation. I dont think the organisors are going to be spoiled for choice exactly.

What about Topsham Town? I used to referee the annual five a side tournament there, so I'm sure they wouldnt mind the pitch being used.

I dont think the council will allow the use of any of their pitches for an organised tournament, what with having to pay somebody to allow access the changing rooms/showers etc. I dont know of any decent pubs anywhere near Polsloe Bridge incidently. I'd hardly class the Railwayman as a family orientated establishment.

I stilll cant believe Tisdale wont allow the use of one pitch at the C&F. Apart from the main one, the others are no great shakes anyway.

Oldsmobile-88

I stilll cant believe Tisdale wont allow the use of one pitch at the C&F. Apart from the main one, the others are no great shakes anyway.
I'm sure he has a good reason....I expect the groundstaff are fairly busy at the moment with the work at SJP & those pitches at the Cat & Fiddle Training Ground get a fair bit of use from August onwards..

Red and White Zider

Well-known Exeweb poster
Topsham Town could be a good be a goer, seeing as the City ladies use it for their home games

ramone

Well-known Exeweb poster
If i had to agree with you we would both be wrong
Pete when exactly was the last time you were in the Railwayman ?

They have a decent enough menu also a pretty good sized family play area and beer garden at the back of the pub, big screen t.v.'s for any sport that could be on and i think has recently been decorated

Last edited:

PeteUSA

Pete when exactly was the last time you were in the Railwayman ?
About 35 years ago when it was called the Queens Head. My teams pitch was at Hamlin Lane, so we would go in there afterwards occasionally. Rough as buggery though, with outside toilets, and sawdust on the floor bar.

I take it its of a better standard now?

ramone

Well-known Exeweb poster
If i had to agree with you we would both be wrong
About 35 years ago when it was called the Queens Head. My teams pitch was at Hamlin Lane, so we would go in there afterwards occasionally. Rough as buggery though, with outside toilets, and sawdust on the floor bar.

I take it its of a better standard now?
Just a tad, they even have electricity in there now

PeteUSA

So Topsham is emerging as favorite?

citysfinest

The big powers have silenced me. So much for free
No, topsham cant do it. Trying alphington tomorrow.

PeteUSA

No, topsham cant do it. Trying alphington tomorrow.
Excellent facilites etc, but non the less Alphington play on a public council pitch like Hamlin Lane, Wonford etc. Goalposts generally come down after each game, and through the close season. Give it a go though.

Despite Ians 'observations' about Heavitree, I still think it might work.

What about Willand or Collumpton? Either of them would help the Stansfield cause. Collumpton are always looking to make money at their social club.

citysfinest

The big powers have silenced me. So much for free
Excellent facilites etc, but non the less Alphington play on a public council pitch like Hamlin Lane, Wonford etc. Goalposts generally come down after each game, and through the close season. Give it a go though.

Despite Ians 'observations' about Heavitree, I still think it might work.

What about Willand or Collumpton? Either of them would help the Stansfield cause. Collumpton are always looking to make money at their social club.

Hadnt thought about cullompton will get on to them tomorrow. Willand also a good shout-thanks