• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

The End of an Era

Grecian1966

WE (players and fans) have had one heck of a journey over the past 5 years - one which we still aint reached our stopping point yet. Without getting over melodramatic I think Hillsborough was poignant in that I believe we have seen the end of Exeter City as we have known it. A significant chunk of those who one way or another have had immense impacts on getting us to where we now sit have ended their personal journeys with us. Edwards - 186 league appearances, Paul Jones 159, Taylor 140, Harley 119, Cozic 102, Marcus 84, Watson 25. In total 815 games in the red and white which is one heck of a lot of experience to lose from a group who have travelled from the depths of the conference to our club's highest ever placing.

I guess we all recognise that the higher we go new players have to come in to keep us progressing. I guess Logie, Tulls and Sercs are all that are left from the start of the journey but I can't help but get a tad sentimental about the loss of players that have shared the journey with us.

Will the new Exeter City seem the same as the 'old' Exeter City?

Fred

LammieLammieLammie

Very well known Exeweb poster
Good thread. Yes, I think the new Exeter City is the same as the old one...and I love that Robbo is still here... It's time for others to step up now.. Liam must have around 100 appearences hasn't he? Dunney? Good stats mate, we still have Logie on 100+, Tulls, and Billy there also...

Rog H K

The good thing is, we are bringing players through our youth ranks at League one level. We had another couple of new players at Sheffield, Tom Nichols and the other lad Tisdale, both look like they need a few more games but I think they will come good. Onwards and upwards.

LammieLammieLammie

Tom Nichols and the other lad Tisdale, both look like they need a few more games .
But for different reasons!

LOG

Edwards - 186 league appearances, Paul Jones 159, Taylor 140, Harley 119, Cozic 102, Marcus 84, Watson 25
Fortunately, arguably the two most influential of that lot will still be around which, IMHO, is a real bonus both for passing on their experience and continuity.

memoman

Well-known Exeweb poster
Fred, I'm certainly not weeping at the loss of Watson! Good thread though [y]

EX4 6PX

Well-known Exeweb poster
Its not a case of new and old, its a case of continuous evolution, only with a few more new faces next season than usual. And some younger ones, at that.

Grecian1966

Its not a case of new and old, its a case of continuous evolution, only with a few more new faces next season than usual. And some younger ones, at that.
I think the difference for me this year is that Tiz hasn't tended to change that much personnel wise season to season. This year though how many players are we losing that are either released or have retired - many more than in past seasons?

grecianstew

WE (players and fans) have had one heck of a journey over the past 5 years - one which we still aint reached our stopping point yet. Without getting over melodramatic I think Hillsborough was poignant in that I believe we have seen the end of Exeter City as we have known it.
Will the new Exeter City seem the same as the 'old' Exeter City?

Fred
You are absolutely right, though i suspect for different reasons. The Exeter City as we have known it has been a minnow of a club, generally badly run and bumping along in the lower reaches of the 4th Division with successful seasons so rare and far apart that we can remember and name them all. On the rare occasion we have risen above our traditional level we have given the appearance that we are out of our depth as a club, such heights are not for the likes of us.
Well i really feel those days are over, we have breached that gap. Clubs with much more illustrious pasts than us languish beneath us in the table, humiliated on the field and look at the running of our club with respect and admiration.
I never thought i would see that day, the day when an Exeter City executive is called before an Inquiery not to account for it's actions but as an example of good practice, the day the football world ( granted barring Poults, Malc, Jay etc :)) looks to my club for inspiration.

Poultice

I guess Logie, Tulls and Sercs are all that are left from the start of the journey
Well we are not at the pinnacle of our achievement, 2nd in 3rd South is our highest position, FACT !

Shirley we should count BJ in there Fred, he hasn't taken all the steps but he was here at the start and he is here now.