• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Harley Joins Swansea But Back Until End Of The Season

This deal seems to be benficial to Swansea only as far as I'm concerned.

We've done them a massive favour by letting him talk terms with only them and the net result for us is pretty much the same whether we let him talk to them or not.

I understand the arguement that this may 'settle' him and he can concentrate on his football for the rest of the year with us, but what's the point? We're not going up this season and we're not going to go down. Wouldv'e been better to flog him, even if it was at a relatively cheap price plus a load of add ons. Having him back on loan is obviously a benefit but not one which outways a cash injection, especially given the amount of cash we need just to break even.

eurogrecian

I'm sure very few people know what the actual deal is so there is probably no point in speculating.
Thoughts?
This bit is right.

The deal doesn't look very attractive on the face of it, but the small print will be critical.
Sell on clause? Other add-ons? Could Swansea be paying his wages until the end of the season?
So many questions.

I'd be surprised if Tisdale and Perryman have been turned over and based on previous successes, they have my confidence that this is the best deal (whatever it is!) for Exeter City.

Red the Paper

Banned
Has Harley come out yet?

Grecian2K

Very well known Exeweb poster
Confirms what I suspected 01....

....turn a couple of sheep inside out and you've got a brand NEW pair of Ugg Boots every week [tap]
(Or so I'm told)

Shamus

Disappointed and miffed really. He was always going to go now or in the summer, but the club are taking the p*ss. What sort of statement is that, no commercial reason for doing the deal now, he could have signed pre contract and we would have kept him. Just think it is a really crap statement, has to be more to it, or we are the biggest pushovers in the league - bring back Norrie!

As for Harley, not been available for 2 games, not available this week and we and he allow him to go on a free! Crap deal for a club that are a selling club and need the money. Don't think anyone comes out well out of this, I love Harley, but not as much as I did!

Such a carp statement that we're all talkign about it and feeling bemused, upset and bitter. If he was sold we could understand and all been happy for him and all good.

TOTAL CARP!

malcolms

You really do walk into these, you know.

;)
Its always easy to make it look that way once you've been exposed mate:)

Last edited:

Sandstorm

Harley had us over a barrel. He could leave for free in the summer and could have turned down any club that came in for him during the window.

As it is, we've got his goals and play-making for the rest of the season.

Our policy of offering short contracts is sensible, overall, but in this instance, we've probably lost out.
Sensible post.

This was inevitable from the Summer onwards when he didn't sign an extension. He was in his last year and has the right to pick and choose. Who knows if the club accepted the Brighton offer only for Harley to reject it - and he would be within his rights to do so.

My feeling is we got him for nowt, got some amazing service from the player over the years and brought a hell of a lot of pleasure to supporters while, on the flipside, ECFC honed his natural ability.

He was within his rights to choose the deal that suited him, he did his service here which was mutually beneficial but he earnt his right to choose. It doesn't rankle in the way the Mackie transfer did.

Good luck to the lad, he's 25 and he's hit a glass ceiling here. I wish him all the best :)

ecfc01

Confirms what I suspected 01....

....turn a couple of sheep inside out and you've got a brand NEW pair of Ugg Boots every week [tap]
(Or so I'm told)

I brought two pairs of them, Not for me but blimmin ell they are some confy sh*t!

Well-known Exeweb poster
HTML:
[QUOTE="Grecian2K, post: 1118116, member: 27"]
1) - and sorry, but Noble AND Harley together in midfield has already been shown not to work very well :(

, I think we should have said f*ck the loan...just give us the money....and let us start rebuilding from here. :([/QUOTE]

What he said, presuming the 300ish thou reports were true.

Phil Sayers

What value would people put on Harley being here until the end of the season? I remember quite a few saying that for any transfer less than 300k or so we would be better off keeping him. I didn't personally agree with them (maybe half that figure) but those that felt that way should be pretty happy as to their way of thinking we have effectively netted 300k plus his wages from this deal.