• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Give Gerrard a 3 game ban?

exeips

O.K. I am going to play devils advocate here....

All season we've been seeing & hearing in the media from ex-players,commentators & fans alike about what to do with the increasing diving & cheating that's going on in football now.

It seems that most people would like to see players get a ban the same as a player who got sent off right?

Again most people seem to blame the overseas player for it,players like Drogba,Robben,Garcia & ronaldo all come in for some stick about their diving & cheating but when Englands Steve Gerrard dives for a penalty tonight according to Ian Wright "that's ok because other teams do it against us""good for him".

So I wonder what Wrightys reaction will be if we get knocked out of the world cup by Holland after Robben takes a tumble in the 89th minute? Do you think he will say "that's ok other teams do it, fair play to robben"? Will he b*ll*cks!

Will those calling for cheats to get suspended be in the media tomorrow or on websites calling for Gerrard to get a 3 match ban?

Some how I doubt it very much!

Chalk1e

Well-known Exeweb poster
I hoped I'd never have to say this about a member of the England national side but he is a cheat and deserves to have the book thrown at him. What he did was wrong in the same way as Drogba, Robben and co diving, handballing etc and claiming it is ok as it part of the game.

I don't see how Wrighty can state they do it against us so let him do it as well. This only advocates cheating and will encourage the yoof of today to do it as they think it's ok on the TV.

STAMP CHEATING OUT OF FOOTBALL:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

LammieLammieLammie

Very well known Exeweb poster
Great great point. And it;s no use saying he learnt it off Jonny Foreigner.

I have just watch ITV'S world cup Heaven and Hell. Against Cameroon, Lineker goes down twice in the box like he's been shot, and it's "good old Gary".

Spicy Nik Nak

Chalk1e said:
STAMP CHEATING OUT OF FOOTBALL:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:
Bring back Jake!!!!

CREDYGRECIAN

Loving the free flowing entertaining football at S
Well - Is it diving is it clever play ?? - this debate will go on & on & on - but one thing for sure is if he does that and we get a pen in the last min of the final to win the game nobody would never mention it again !.

To be Fair to Steve Gerrard he's hardly a diver is he , it was clever play IMO because he showed good feet in the box the defender dived in and Gerrard flicked it past him before going down to win England a pen.

Like Ian Wright said everyone else does it so why shouldnt we ?

Oli

If a dive won us the World Cup I would find it a hollow victory.

haka

CREDYGRECIAN said:
... one thing for sure is if he does that and we get a pen in the last min of the final to win the game nobody would never mention it again !
Nobody would ever stop mentioning it , you mean. Still, at least that Hand of God goal was just forgotten immediately, and has hardly been shown on your TV at all in the last 20 years ...

There now follows a full list of England players/supporters who have gone on record as saying "Well done Maradona, fair play to you, I wish one of our lads had done that."

tumbleweed ...

And that concludes the list. Thank you.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
ANY diving should be treated harshly, no point saying "Everyone else is doing it...".

1st instance: 1 match ban.
2nd instance: 5 match ban.
3rd instance: 1 year ban.

All valid for 2 years, so once the 1 match ban is brought in, the player has 2 years without diving before a dive reverts to a 1 match ban.

Oli

I feel it is difficult to determine a dive sometimes though.

When running at full pelt and using feet to control a ball it can take very little to send you over. This feintest of touches can easily be missed.

I think the ref should continue booking as they see fit.

City Blue

CREDYGRECIAN said:
Like Ian Wright said everyone else does it so why shouldnt we ?
But Ian Wright is a bit of a kn*b. I thought that was a terrible thing to say and a team should not try to emulate other cheaters. At first I thought the defender had caught Gerrard, it was only through replays I saw he hadn't. Even in a friendly, it was justice that Lampard's penalty was saved. Like Oli, I would see a World Cup won through diving as a hollow victory.