• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Germany 2 England 3

richard_portland

Very well known Exeweb poster
Backing Gary Caldwell, thanks Matt and good luck.
Friendly or not, that was an impressive performance. Looked like it was the normal England failing to take the opportunities created and Germany took their's , but a great comeback and some cracking goals. Alli forced a good save and missed a sitter also and Henderson should have buried his chance.

Seeing that I hope Rooney is left on the bench or at home. Sturridge to come back as well. Shouldn't get over excited but this England side has enough talent in it to compete in the summer if they play to their potential.

Rabid Doug

Agree totally Richard. Superb performance from England.

I will be at our first 3 games in France and will be mightily disappointed if Rooney is in the starting line up as will the vast majority of England fans that travel (excluding those that follow Man Utd). He has always let England down in tournaments. Lets hope Roy shows the same bottle in team selection in June. Rooney is not a finals player and it will be a major backward step if he is in any future starting line up

Grecian O'Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
We're actually going to ****ing win the euros!!

Silver fox

We're actually going to ****ing win the euros!!
If he sticks with power and pace with Kane, Vardy, Walcott and Alli we have a great chance IMO. Henderson needs to work on his finishing though. (y)

LOG

Thanks for putting the final score in the thread title. I won't need to watch the highlights now.

sladie

If he sticks with power and pace with Kane, Vardy, Walcott and Alli we have a great chance IMO. Henderson needs to work on his finishing though. (y)
Prob the best england performance ive seen in a long time, so strong, and counter at pace, loved the neat passing

memoman

Well-known Exeweb poster
Put Sterling in for Lallana and that is the starting XI Roy should play. Impressive side, even though we do look weak in the centre-back area. I'd be on the phone to John Terry for one last hurrah - still much better than Cahill.

mustangspeed2006

I was at the game tonight and am still buzzing from our second half performance.

First of all, the minute's silence was terribly observed in the home end; the announcer spoke through half of it (although this was probably no fault of his own) and tens of Germany "fans" proceeded to chant or make unnecessary noises for the rest of the mark of respect. I thought Germany were the better team in the first half and created more chances; I'd like to see a replay of their disallowed goal, as live I thought he was in line. I was disappointed that Butland wasn't taken off immediately after an obvious bad strain when collecting a loose ball. We paid for this mistake, as Toni Kroos' effort at the near post was not dealt with sufficiently.

After the boring first half, the game sprung into life in the second period with both teams coming close in the first five minutes. Then from nothing, a good ball into the box from Sami Khedira was cleverly headed back across goal from Mario Gomez to double the Germans' lead. My friends and I were then fearing the worst, before Harry Kane battled well in the box and unleashed a superb finish into the bottom corner. With England continuing to threaten, Hodgson brought on my main man for the season, Jamie Vardy, who produced a sublime piece inspiration to level the scores (I went absolutely mental in the home end surrounded by German fans). The Leicester man then bullied a German defender off the ball after a short Neuer goal kick to set up the impressive Dele Alli, who could only spoon the ball over the bar from 8 yards out! Thankfully, England's pressure finally told and a Henderson corner was met by a towering Eric Dier header in the last minute to secure the win. I was ecstatic as the Germans around me emptied the stands.

Dier's goal also ensured that I ended the night 20 EUR up (which was then promptly spent on celebratory beers :)). Well done lads -- more of the same for the Euros, please!

Antony Moxey

The offside goal was onside and Butland staying on was entirely of his own making. Why he didn't kick it out of play when he was obviously in need of attention is a complete mystery. England teams used to be based on a solid defence but this one is dreadful and one of the worst put out, but it's difficult to know who to replace them with. In years gone by none of them would get a look in. Henderson I'd replace too.

But by and large everything in front of the back four looked good and regardless of what I've said above it's no mean feat coming from two down to beat the current world champions on their own pitch. Somehow though, with Hart, Jagielka, Walker, Gibbs, Baines, Stones, Ox, Walcott, Rooney, Wilshere, Shaw, Chambers, Sterling, Carrick, Sturridge, Milner, Bertrand, Delph and Young all missing I doubt very much that that'll be anywhere near the starting line up come summer.

richard_portland

Backing Gary Caldwell, thanks Matt and good luck.
Thanks for putting the final score in the thread title. I won't need to watch the highlights now.

No problem, England won the cricket as well (rofl)