• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Women's World Cup

RedPaul

Well-known Exeweb poster
Is anyone following this? Little else beyond the norm to distract the general sporting public until the Ashes start.

6 groups of 4. Top 2 plus the 4 best 3rd's go through to last 16, then knockout.

England's first game is tomorrow (6pm) against France.
Germany won 10-0 last night.

LOG

Very well known Exeweb poster
I've been following it although have only seen one game so far - Germany 10-0 Ivory Coast.

Apparently Ivory Coast are the lowest ranked team in the tournament whereas Germany seem to win just about everything. I'm not sure that such a one-sided game was good for the tournament or women's football in general but, having watched most of the last European Championship, the general standard seems to have come a long way in recent years.

ORy

I've been following the Women's World Cup more or less closely since the beginning, with our - Norways ! - memorable win in 1995 a highlight.

The level of play is steadily improving, and the number of awkward mistakes, goalkeeping errors etc are truly diminishing.

In Germanys group, our girls beat newcomers Thailand 4 - 0 easily. As I think we must beat the Ivory Coast, we will probably be number two
in our group after Germany and will then meet the winner of Englands group in the first of the cup matches - best of 16.

I've seen Canada beat China 1 - 0 after a solid, but nervous opening match. Decent soccer.

Tonight, I truly enjoyed watching Nigeria more or less play the Swedes off the pitch. However, bad defending and the Luck of the Swedish
seemed to give Sweden the victory. 2 - 0 up at halftime, Nigeria equalized early in the second half but Sweden went up to 3 - 2 actually
on their third chance. Some kind of justice was made late on as Nigeria again equalized and it ended three all. Nigeria went 2-5-3 and it paid off!

As this is the first championship with 24 teams - and most of the new ones from Asia/Africa - the difference between the best and the alsorans
will be substantial this time. However, Nigeria showed that also the best African team (they've won all of the African championships) are well
equipped to deal with a Swedish team who reached the semifinal last WC.

Give it a shot! You may well enjoy it.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
England's game has just started. Live on BBC2.

Last edited:

Silver fox

0-0 5minutes gone

Silver fox

1-0 France

Silver fox

1-0 France
Final score

PeteUSA

England are crap. You need to be following the USA. Hope Solo, best woman keeper in the world; unfortunately she's well aware of it.

iscalad

England are crap. You need to be following the USA. Hope Solo, best woman keeper in the world; unfortunately she's well aware of it.
Is she Hans Solo's wife? BTW Norway doing well ATM.

LOG

I feasted on this last night.

Germany v Norway was up first and a pretty interesting match with two decent teams ending 1-1. A proper game of two halves where Norway showed that Germany aren't quite as formidable as they'd have us believe and a draw was a fair result.

Next was China v Netherlands which i can only describe as awful. China ended up winning 1-0 with a very late goal but despite having 26 shots and hitting the bar once they looked as clueless as their opponents in front of goal. Not a good advert.

Then it was Ivory Coast v Thailand which ended 2-3 although having wasted my time on the match above i only saw the second half. It was a bit of a physical mismatch to say the least and the Ivory Coast's approach of they shall not pass resulted in free kick after free kick and 6 minutes of added time. Their fouling including one dreadful "tackle" very near the end which should have been a red card but a yellow was given. The two highlights were some of the worst defending i've ever seen for Thailand's third (Pete - you might want to get in touch with the Ivory Coast's FA as their gloveswoman needs some work) and the ballsing up of a substitution by Thailand which meant they only had 10 players. It probably should have ended in a draw but i was glad Thailand won.

Finally, it was Canada v New Zealand which was suspended after only a few minutes because of the weather. I thought that this was a good time to go to bed, so i did.