• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Day 4 - 2 x Group D matches and 1 Group E match.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
3 matches to keep us going

Switzerland v Ecuador 5pm ITV
France v Honduras 8pm BBC 1
Argentina v Bosnia-Herzegovina 11pm BBC 1

Day 4 - http://www.exeweb.com/2014/06/15/brazil-2014-day-4/

Out celebrating my daughter's birthday, so might only be able to catch the Argentinian game.

richard_portland

Very well known Exeweb poster
Backing Gary Caldwell, thanks Matt and good luck.
France benefit from the new goal line technology. Reckon the decision was correct but very controversial because the system first said no goal and then goal because there were two instances where it was first judged to be not over, and then secondly when it was. not sure that goal would have been given without the technology, crowd and manager of Honduras not happy.

Grecian O'Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
It's actually 2 matches from Group E and 1 from Group F. Just saying:)

Switzerland and France will both go through from this group after todays results. I was impressed with the Swiss while France will no doubt do better than they have fared in previous tournaments. I'm looking forward to the Argentina game later tonight. Bosnia are no wipping boys and have some good players but I expect that Argentina will just have too much power for them to contain.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
But behind the times! (but the link is correct).

Haven't seen the games. Why were the BBC commentators questioning one of the goals? (Goal line technology)

Last edited:

Silver fox

The keeper carried the ball into the net as he tried to save it.

Silver fox

Switzerland and France will both go through from this group after todays results. I was impressed with the Swiss while France will no doubt do better than they have fared in previous tournaments. I'm looking forward to the Argentina game later tonight. Bosnia are no wipping boys and have some good players but I expect that Argentina will just have too much power for them to contain.
Going 3-0 Argentina (y)

Grecian O'Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
It was a bit of a strange one. Benzema had a shot which hit the inside of the post. It then rolled across the goal line, hit the goalkeeper, and went over the line before he could claw it back. The ref got the signal and the goal was given. On the goal line technology replay on the TV and on the big screen in the stadium it showed the first half of the chance where Benzema's shot hit the post but did not cross the line to which it said on the screen 'No Goal'. After this, it proceeded to show the second half of the chance where the ball did cross the line, to which it said on the screen 'Goal'. All a bit confusing with the two replays for those in the stadium who at one point thought it wasn't a goal, only to find out on the second replay that the goal was actually given.

Antony Moxey

France benefit from the new goal line technology. Reckon the decision was correct but very controversial because the system first said no goal and then goal because there were two instances where it was first judged to be not over, and then secondly when it was. not sure that goal would have been given without the technology, crowd and manager of Honduras not happy.
Not controversial at all. It was correct that Benzema's shot didn't cross the line but it was also correct that the keeper knocked it over. The shot didn't need to be shown at all because there was never any doubt but it did prove the keeper put it in. Honduras had absolutely nothing to complain about and it appears that on the entire planet only you, them and Jonathan Pearce think there was any controversy.

Grecian_Jay

Not controversial at all. It was correct that Benzema's shot didn't cross the line but it was also correct that the keeper knocked it over. The shot didn't need to be shown at all because there was never any doubt but it did prove the keeper put it in. Honduras had absolutely nothing to complain about and it appears that on the entire planet only you, them and Jonathan Pearce think there was any controversy.

Spot on. What the hell is everybody banging on about? The system worked perfectly. Somehow Jonathan Pearce contrived to make it the biggest 'controversial incident of the World Cup'. The ball didn't cross the line and then did the second, goal given.

Jeez football is hard work sometimes!

richard_portland

Backing Gary Caldwell, thanks Matt and good luck.
I guess I should clarify that the initial reaction from commentator, Honduras manager and fans in the ground hinted at controversy rather than me feeling it was controversial. Apologies for typing something which gave a wrong impression but well done for having a pop anyway. How many people on the entire planet have you checked with to come to that conclusion (clap)?

Other than that i do agree that the decision was correct, it was just that it initially created some confusion by saying no goal which probably would have been best to leave that bit out. Definitely Honduras were not hard done by but as they come across as a bunch of thugs I'm not surprised by their reactions.