• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Kids football.

Antony Moxey

Very well known Exeweb poster
Well the disappointment of yesterday afternoon wasn't going to overshadow events earlier in the day. Sorry to get all self indulgent here, but yesterday morning my boy was playing in the quarter final of the U8s cup away at Alphington - a good team who mullered us 10-4 at home earlier in the season. Anyway, the Brixington boys did themselves proud with a mighty 2-0 win to march on triumphantly into the semi-final. The game had everything: confident passing, crunching tackles, a desire to win the ball back if possession was lost, strong running, a never say die attitude and some cool finishing, as well as restricting the formidable Alphington front line to a couple of scuffed half chances.

Perhaps it's no coincidence that in light of recent capitulations at the Park, no less than five of the Brixington Blues team of ten were invited out to the Cat and Fiddle last Sunday for a brief training session and game against a team from St. Austell (natch the U8s won 3-0 and 2-1), under the watchful eye of Chris Vinnicombe, no less.

So I'd watch out if I were you Cronin, as it's only a matter of time before Alex puts the call out to Harry to step in and make that central midfield berth his own!

I know there are other dads on here whos lads play in the kids' league - how did/are they all doing?

Redhat

Looking forward to 2009 with insane optimism
Antony Moxey said:
I know there are other dads on here whos lads play in the kids' league - how did/are they all doing?
Actually some of us are MUMS... My boy is captain of the Central Reds Under 11 team and he is having a game at Cat and Fiddle with the 16 best of the under 11 Friendly league against the ECFC under 11 team on Sunday. Must be talent spotting time. Hope it's a bit warmer by then

Antony Moxey

Hehe - good luck to the boy, indeed it does seem to be talent spotting time. Don't hold your breath for any feedback (and I really do mean ANY feedback) once it's over though.......

And footy mums, blimey, don't stand within earshot when their precious gets tackled/fouled/passes/shoots/scores/runs around a bit/puts his boots on...:) ;)

So anyone else out there - I know Lammie and Spick's lads play in the U8s, there must be others.

LammieLammieLammie

Hi Ant, Sorry I Haven't replied sooner...

Yep, Little Lammie is a Heavitree Rocket (or a Comet) and loves it.

Mind you, he was sin binned the other week for getting involved in swapping his "Shoot-out" cards in the middle of a training session.

Antony Moxey

So the season officially ended today. Sure the strikers have generally done the business, but not enough chances were ultimately created. The wing play wasn't quite tricky enough and although the centre of midfield wasn't wanting for passion, at times they were simply overrun. And the normally solid defence just lapsed at the crucial time, which wasn't helped by a fluke past the keeper after two brilliant saves.

Still, with a summer to recharge the batteries and a first proper season for the coach, and with the lessons of this season behind them, the lads shouldn't be too despondant at a semi final exit, although you could tell how much they wanted it by the way some were in tears afterwards. Never let it be said that they didn't care or weren't up for it.

Hang on though, what's this doing in the kids football thread? Well, unfortunately Harry and Brixington Blues U8s lost their cup semi final this morning against a good Stoke Hill side 2-1, despite taking the lead and Stoke Hill netting a fortuitous winner with 20 seconds of the game remaining. Also unfortunately, the boys won't be playing at SJP this year, something they all desperately wanted to achieve.

I'm gutted, I have to say. Moreso today than with a City defeat. But they tried their best which is all you can ask, and look out U9s next year.

Football can be such a cruel game at times.....<sob>

LammieLammieLammie

Gutted for you and Harry Ant.

So close etc etc etc... how did he take it? Better than his dad?

And stick the match report on the official club site. No-one will notice.

Last edited:

Spicy Nik Nak

Do you think at the end of the game that the entire Brixington side went 'FFS'?

LammieLammieLammie

Spicy Nik Nak said:
Do you think at the end of the game that the entire Brixington side went 'FFS'?
HaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHa

HaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHa

[y]

To be fair Spicer, I went to watch, and the funniest thing was Ant putting Sumner on as a sub, and telling the ref that he was under 8.

Spicy Nik Nak

Under 8 what? Feet tall?

LammieLammieLammie

Years old.

It was the Jersey looking a tad tight on Sumns that made the ref suspicious.