• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

'Foreign' Players Playing For England

grecIAN Harris

Very well known Exeweb poster
Picking up on Jack Wilshire's comment during the week, what do the Exeweb massive think, is he right or wrong?
For me, he's spot on. Living here for 'x' years doesn't make you English. You need to be born and bred here or be of parental heritage. For example, my Father in law has lived in Zimbabwe for 40 years now but he still sees himself as, and I'm quoting him here, a detribalised Jock. In all that time, he's been back to Britain a couple of times but he will never see himself as a Zimbabwean and still maintains his British passport.

Chuckles

"Born and Bred"...how long before you are classified as bred? Who sets the rules?

Say you are born here but from years 1 to 8 to live and are brought up in Sweden?

Why let it stop at Countries, why not only only allow people born Exeter, play for Exeter City...and so it goes on. I played football for London & Manchester, but we would not have won DSenioe League 1 had we only relied on employees (i was one) of the Company. I have only one rule, never ever have a Janner in your team

Jack Wiltshire is a young lad who thinks smoking is cool, his comments on "foreign" players or the Syrian conflict have equal value to me....absolutely nothing

Last edited:

grecIAN Harris

With your attitude Chuckles, you might aswell scrap international football altogether. If you carry on with the notion that might let the United kid play for England you'll end up with a situation that Arsene Wenger suggested, FA's will be scouting the world to get the best kids in leaving you with nothing more than glorified club football, aka Champions League.
As an aside, L&M, there's a blast from the past.

Chuckles

With your attitude Chuckles, you might aswell scrap international football altogether. If you carry on with the notion that might let the United kid play for England you'll end up with a situation that Arsene Wenger suggested, FA's will be scouting the world to get the best kids in leaving you with nothing more than glorified club football, aka Champions League.
As an aside, L&M, there's a blast from the past.
Ian, I do understand your point just being argumentative. We have rules in place and think we should abide by them, trouble is Countries dont. The lad Adzan in my opinion could play for his Country of birth or choose between the Country of his parents and should decide by 16 and that should be an end to it unless of course he changes his nationality properly. He should never play for England, unless he changes nationality...in my opinion.

L&M, yeah was goalkeeper for the first team for about 8 years, never got promoted above Senior League 1 despite winning the league twice because no dugouts and toilets too far from pitch. I think you played a league or two above Senior 1. Loved playing against "real" village teams who could play and everyone turned out to watch. Went on to play centre half for Kentisbeare (senior 2) and was only one of 2 who came from outside the rural locality. took 2 seasons to be accepted and had the best times there.

Last edited:

grecIAN Harris

I've played all sorts Chuckles. I remember playing at L&M in my first season of mens football with Crediton 3rds. L&M had this well drilled offside trapped that got me every time, that's inexperience for you.

Chuckles

I've played all sorts Chuckles. I remember playing at L&M in my first season of mens football with Crediton 3rds. L&M had this well drilled offside trapped that got me every time, that's inexperience for you.
That was probably my loud mouth marshalling the back four. Found out many years later that the centre half thought I was crap (more to do with his wife working with me and him later knocking off my best mates wife). Better to stop a shot or cross coming in that have to make a save or have the possibility of missing a cross. I actually only let in 14 goals in one season in Senior 1, not because of any goalkeeping ability but from the opposition having fewer attempts. Happy days

Newtonpop

Doesn't the lad who play's for MU if he decide's to play for England become eligble only in 2018? Surely he would want to play International football now? And didn't Belgium* qualify last night? I know what I would be doing today!!

*He was born there.