• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeweb Upgrades :- New Server, New Software, New Look

lmartin

Administrator
In the next couple of weeks we need to move Exeweb to a new server. Steve's hosting contract comes to expiry and the handover from Steve to our new group (oh go on then... the 'steering committee' :p) completes.

In order to make the switch, we need to upgrade the forum software from vBulletin version 3 to the latest version of vBulletin version 4. As well as giving us some new features (like the ability to embed video into posts, a custom mobile theme etc...), vBulletin 4 has been rebuilt almost from scratch. So - it is more efficient, runs quicker and puts less load on the server. Not only that but using the latest version of the forum software should ensure our security is always as tight as possible. vBulletin version 4 also has a slightly different layout and an entirely different templating/customisation system.

Unfortunately the existing Exeweb skin is very incompatible with both the new layout and the new method of implementing VB templates. For this reason I have been working on a VB4 compatible colour palette and skin.

You can have a look at what we're currently preparing here :-
http://exeweb.com/images/vb4-exeweb.png

I do appreciate that change is not always welcomed by everyone - and it was our intention not to make such sweeping changes - however we firmly believe the benefits of the upgrade far outweigh the impact of change.

I will keep you posted on the progress of the switch. If you have any questions or feedback then please do fire away. :)

(Dons body armour!)

Liam

ForeverECFC

Its a Yay from me

Red & White

The new forums page looks slick and it the colouring of the background looks good. Glad to see that the forums index will remain the same (to start with!) ;)

Reggie T42

Cannot Be Serious Cottage, Backside of Beyond, Dev
In the next couple of weeks we need to move Exeweb to a new server. Steve's hosting contract comes to expiry and the handover from Steve to our new group (oh go on then... the 'steering committee' :p) completes.

In order to make the switch, we need to upgrade the forum software from vBulletin version 3 to the latest version of vBulletin version 4. As well as giving us some new features (like the ability to embed video into posts, a custom mobile theme etc...), vBulletin 4 has been rebuilt almost from scratch. So - it is more efficient, runs quicker and puts less load on the server. Not only that but using the latest version of the forum software should ensure our security is always as tight as possible. vBulletin version 4 also has a slightly different layout and an entirely different templating/customisation system.

Unfortunately the existing Exeweb skin is very incompatible with both the new layout and the new method of implementing VB templates. For this reason I have been working on a VB4 compatible colour palette and skin.

You can have a look at what we're currently preparing here :-
http://exeweb.com/images/vb4-exeweb.png

I do appreciate that change is not always welcomed by everyone - and it was our intention not to make such sweeping changes - however we firmly believe the benefits of the upgrade far outweigh the impact of change.

I will keep you posted on the progress of the switch. If you have any questions or feedback then please do fire away. :)

(Dons body armour!)

Liam
Does the "what's new" equate to the old "new posts"? I find using the current new posts allows me to keep abreast of every forum and every thread as it evolves.

lmartin

Administrator
Yeah, if you click that it shows you the new posts since your last visit.

StroudGrecian

Very well known Exeweb poster
Where do we access the social groups?

Reggie T42

Cannot Be Serious Cottage, Backside of Beyond, Dev
Top shelf?

lmartin

Administrator
Here is a screenshot of a thread page for anyone interested :)

http://exeweb.com/images/vb4-exeweb-thread.png

Dobley

a) Very nice
b) Freshens up the place without changing the site's identity
c) I see no reason why - given a + b - anyone should have a real reason to moan
d) For what its worth, this is the kind of communication from a "steering committee" or "site management team" which is constructive and welcomable; in my own opinion naturally.

lmartin

Administrator
Nowhere :).