• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

The "Statement regarding Spanky" thread.

Poultice

Very well known Exeweb poster
Anybody else think it looks a bit contrived, 5000 words from Kim Il Lez, replied to in seconds by Spankers, then locked in an instant before anyone could comment ?

Strange times.

Langer

Its the Steering Lot Poults imo

MJP_Exeter

Well-known Exeweb poster
Tbh i didnt see any of the posts or the revealing of the person.

But it seems that all has been forgiven and i would assume the thread was closed to stop people discussing it further to draw a line in the sand and forget about it.

Alistair20000

Anybody else think it looks a bit contrived, 5000 words from Kim Il Lez, replied to in seconds by Spankers, then locked in an instant before anyone could comment ?

Strange times.
Definitely pre-ordained.

Why was Chairman Lez apologising for being too harsh when Spanker had voluntarily fallen on his sword, except some of The Committee seemed to have pushed him ?

Something very rum about the whole thing if you ask me.

However, Spanker is restored so job done.

Oli

Things have certainly changed. Some things are more open, yet other things are too controlled which will make it too sterile. Certainly a clique formed too.

Interesting times indeed.

Poultice

Interesting times indeed.
Or not, as the case may be.

Snakebite

Well-known Exeweb poster
The wagon circle has been formed, some are on the inside aka the nouvelle nouvelle clique. And some are on the outside aka the rest of us.

Strange times ahead indeed...

RaeUK

Cleaner
Staff member
Ah, the will of the people appears to have prevailed. Spanky is (might be) back. It shows what we can achieve when determined to do so. I wonder if the BoS could be so persuaded. Do we need a thread about that? ...

Dobley

Too. Drunk. Cant. Hold. Back. Laughter. Any. More.

Whilst I guess we must all be greatful (and I mean this sincerely) that a group of 7 have stepped forward to ensure Exeweb survives, and I guess they can play with their new toy as they please, this is just too much for my sides to take now.

This whole debacle has been cringingly funny in a desperate sort of way. Im not even going to bother addressing the toys-out-of-pram (justifiably or not) actions of other users, but Les if you are reading this, my opinion is that there is such a thing as too much transparency.

Put a release, announce an announcement, minute a steering commitee meeting or whatever you do for every single action you take for Exeweb management purposes, and pretty soon people wont bother reading them anyway making your "transparency for the good of all" policy useless and redundant. You do not need to do it.

If there is something that will effect the Ew membership at large; advertising, going pay, colour scheme, limiting the number of posts a day to try and encourage people to think about what they are contributing.... then fine.

But as far as I can tell, there was no public outcry about the act in question, or indeed more pertinantly for or against Spanky and his evil and perverse abuse of power. There was no mass hysteria or comment from the main body of the forum, therefore the main body of the forum didnt and doesnt need to know the finer points of unanimously sleeping together on it and coming to whatever conclusion at seven minutes past whichever hour. Disciplinary matters between management and individuals should remain behind closed doors; complaints upwards and remedial action downwards. Inter-management matters should remain behind closed doors. Unless it has a tangible effect on the actual body, it will cope with whatever changes you cast upon it unknowingly. By all means, in the intersts of transparency, answer questions.

"Hey, where did Spanky go?" "We dumped him for selling all your personal information to the Iraqis/Americans/Sand People**" "Oh, pity, I rather liked him"

"Hey. Spanky. You're back?" "Yeh well, it was decided that as I gave 50% of my ill gotten proceeds back to the Trust, Im allowed back in".

^ This may or may probably not be an accurate description of what happened

Only when the act had touched upon a significant number of other individuals with the gravity of the comment or whatever, should this kind of grandiose stuff be required.

Or am I just being slow on the uptake and this is all a very highbrow joke us lagerlouts arent meant to get?

The irony here of essentially a private, non democratic enterprise with no actual need or requirement to address or answer to anyone being almost over eager to communicate, while one of the main raison d'etre the so identified enterprise exists to cover and serve in the form of debate is a democratic open body with full accountability to its members which is being accused of not knowing how to pass information through its own walls.

Now even I know that last paragraph made no sense.

*Star Wars people. Before a racist argument breaks out.

RaeUK

Cleaner
Staff member
... Now even I know that last paragraph made no sense ...
You got that bit right. :)

But, tbh, for a self-confessed alcohol induced post not far off the mark...