• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

From today's Echo: ALEX HAILS DAWN OF A NEW ERA

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
ALEX HAILS DAWN OF A NEW ERA

EXETER City boss Alex Inglethorpe has hailed the dawn of an exciting new era at St James’s Park.

With club officials intent not just on a return to the Football League but on reaching Coca Cola League One by 2010, Inglethorpe has given his unequivocal backing to plans to radically transform the fortunes of the Nationwide Conference side.

The City boss has made a major contribution to freelance management consultant Paul Morrish’s five-year plan V10 - V standing for vision and victory and 10 being shorthand for 2010, the final year of a five-year plan - which will be presented to Grecian supporters for the first time at a meeting on Monday evening.

“Exeter City has so much untapped potential, which has gone unfulfilled for far, far too long,” said Inglethorpe. “I’m convinced Paul’s vision will give us a very real chance of reaching League One by 2010 and committed to doing everything in my power to see that we realise that goal.

“I hope anyone who can will endeavour to come along to the St James’s Centre on Monday evening to find out more.”

Inglethorpe will assist Morrish with his presentation, after which supporters will be given the opportunity to quiz the pair on the proposals, which would involve a radical overhaul of virtually every aspect of the club’s infrastructure.

Morrish’s work has already identified significant savings, enabling the Grecians to bring in winger Wayne Carlisle from Leyton Orient and central midfielder Matthew Gill from Notts County.

“The principle underlying everything is that income less costs equals profits for football,” explained the 40-year-old season ticket holder and supporters’ trust member, who recently stepped down as a director of a leading UK bank.

Morrish has utilised contacts made during his high-flying business career to orchestrate fact-finding meetings with Chelsea chief executive Peter Kenyon and his Tottenham counterpart Paul Barber, as well as staff and directors of Devon rivals Plymouth Argyle and a host of Football League clubs.

Grecians chairman Dr David Treharne echoed Inglethorpe’s plea for anyone who cares about the club’s future - especially shareholders, Trust members and season ticket holders - to attend Monday’s keynote meeting.

“This club is owned by its supporters. Indeed, it’s almost certain it wouldn’t be here today were it not for them,” said Dr Treharne. “That being the case it’s essential that we keep the fans fully informed of what our intentions are and, fingers crossed, enlist their support.

“After all, we wouldn’t be here without them and, more to the point, we can’t hope to realise our vision of being in League One within the next five years if they’re not fully supportive of what it is we’re trying to do.”

The V10 meeting takes place in the St James’s Centre from 7pm on Monday evening.

CREDYGRECIAN

Very well known Exeweb poster
Loving the free flowing entertaining football at S
Im delighted the club at last is looking towards the future - 2010 is i believe a realistic target - Promotion this season , consolidation & progress the following two & then Promotion again -

We have a young ambitious manager & people who love the club running it - Exeter Citys fans deserve a decent football league club - we have been on a decent climb/Surge for the last 12 months or so - now is the correct time to build on that and get what we all want this season the Title. -

Alex has attracted some very good footballers to Exeter in recent times - Lee Phillips , Paul Jones , Billy Jones , Craig Farrell , Jon Challinor to name a few - when you compare that to the Likes of the Relegation season - then you can see difference in quality

Well Done City & Well Done the fans - without you it wouldnt of been possible.

Oli

CREDYGRECIAN said:
Exeter Citys fans deserve a decent football league club
Do we?

I think the assumtion that we`ll always be in the league got us into problems in the first place. No fans deserve it, you have to earn it and when you do you have to respect it.

But we are in a very lucky position of being able to influence if we get one or not. Most fans don`t have that 'joy'.

I think as fans we ALL need to do more. Starting with the free things. Work parties for example. Even if you don`t want to do that, just get down the park and shout, and chant louder than before. Don`t boo players before the game, get behind them every game.

Once we give our all then we can take real pride in all of our achievements. If we give our all in every respect then ECFC will be a football league club, and probably will be the most successful it has ever been. Not a high bar to jump anyway.

Ellisthegreek

Well-known Exeweb poster
CREDYGRECIAN said:
Exeter Citys fans deserve a decent football league club - .
Correction: DEVON deserves a decent football league club!

GrecianInWales

Well said Oli. You took the words out of my mouth (or under my fingers. Whatever).

Grecian Max

Paul Morrish sounds like he's doing a great job, hope he continues to contribute, because its people of his calibre that we need to drive the club forward. Good stuff.

Sounds like an City v Argyle league derby isn't far off...

kyunghee

I hope Alex's confidence in the Vision means he's now going to sign the extended contract he was offered.

Antony Moxey

I thought you were against giving club officials long contracts?

kyunghee

I am, Ant. I've never heard a team manager described as being a "club official".

Antony Moxey

Well what is he then, if not a club official? He is an employee of the club, and therefore I would assume, as far as employment legislation in this country is concerned, no different to, say, Ian Huxham. Both are (or were, in Hux's case) club employees who were given an employment contract.