• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

FA Cup Round 1 - Beat the bookies

Alan Crockford

Well-known Exeweb poster
Right then, it's the time of year when us lower league geeks can beat the bookies.

We can usually benefit from either:

(a) intel on which sides may make many FA Cup changes (as Martinez used to do with his terribly accident prone Swansea team); or

(b) tips on which half-decent non league sides actually don't stand a chance against League oppo since they're missing the key midfielder and experienced centre half who hold them together. (Not the most exciting bet, but I think there may be some bargains at around evens for a League team to do a solid job away to understrength non-leaguers).

Any info or hunches - but preferably info! - most welcome.

A377 Lad

Not sure of the odds but I fancy Cambridge doing over Huddersfield.

wiveygrecian

League team to win at non-league side , better than evens would be Crewe to win at Tamworth whose home form aint too good, around 11-10.

Non-league to beat league, my choices, Rushden to do Yeovil, odds 2-1 and Forest Green to beat Northampton (who are poor at the moment) odds 9-4.

Alan Crockford

Well-known Exeweb poster
Good work - esp Crewe at Tamworth.

Will keep a careful eye on things this week.

Grecian_Jay

Very well known Exeweb poster
Personally I like to do it the other way and look for the possible upsets. Generally there are 8 or 9 'upsets' in the first rounds so you only need to pick out 2 or 3 and you can make a nice profit.

For me I would be looking at:

Bury (gotta think with your head here)
Fleetwood to beat Walsall
Mansfield to do Torquay
Rushden to do Yeovil
Stevenage to beat MK Dons
Cambridge to sneak past Huddersfield
Dartford to beat Port Vale (Risky this but I would fancy them to get a draw at least)
Accy to beat Oldham

Maybe go for a 20p trebles out of 8. So 56 x 20p = £11.20, use the odd 80p to put it on the accumulator just in case. Then if 4 of them come in you will make a decent profit I would imagine (this is without looking at the odds).

To be ohnest you might look at those and think what a load of crap but it's the cup so anything could happen as they say!

Grecian_Jay

Personally I like to do it the other way and look for the possible upsets. Generally there are 8 or 9 'upsets' in the first rounds so you only need to pick out 2 or 3 and you can make a nice profit.

For me I would be looking at:

Bury (gotta think with your head here)
Fleetwood to beat Walsall
Mansfield to do Torquay
Rushden to do Yeovil
Stevenage to beat MK Dons
Cambridge to sneak past Huddersfield
Dartford to beat Port Vale (Risky this but I would fancy them to get a draw at least)
Accy to beat Oldham

Maybe go for a 20p trebles out of 8. So 56 x 20p = £11.20, use the odd 80p to put it on the accumulator just in case. Then if 4 of them come in you will make a decent profit I would imagine (this is without looking at the odds).

To be ohnest you might look at those and think what a load of crap but it's the cup so anything could happen as they say!
I didn't do any of this in the end and haven't seen all the results so don't know if it was wise or not. I know Accy and bury won though. Think the rest were draws from what I have seen so wasn't too far away.

Poulticedale

I didn't do any of this in the end and haven't seen all the results so don't know if it was wise or not. I know Accy and bury won though. Think the rest were draws from what I have seen so wasn't too far away.
You were f*cking miles away.

Grecian_Jay

You were f*cking miles away.
Would have made a profit you lemon. :)