• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Nuisance on the matchday threads...

RaeUK

Cleaner
Staff member
I appreciate this thread is probably more of a personal whinge than anything else but I did have this afternoons match spoilt a little by unthinking posters - not to mention the scoreline!
I understand this is a public forum. But, surely, common decency dictates that rival fans don't interfere with the matchday thread during the course of a match? As someone pointed out, it's the same as away fans infiltrating the home ends. It's neither welcomed nor encouraged.
I know I am in the vast minority of not being able to attend matches nor, to be honest, am I ever likely to. So I rely heavily on the exquisite combination of GP [yeah, I know!] and exeweb for my 'matchday experience'. It's as close as I can get to being there and feeling part of the excitement. [Hearing the crowd sing and chant is sublime].
I don't want rival supporters, such as Devon G and King Koopa (?) coming in to cause mischief or gloat when things are tight. To my shame, I did respond a time or two but I just wish they understood that it's not a thread for banter. I really look forward to and enjoy my matches thanks to the internet and broadband. I hope that people, like these two, can come to appreciate that some decorum is required. Just because you're fit and able to attend matches please don't mess up the day for those of us who can't.
Rant over.
[Rant over. Yeah, I know. I'm way too polite to rant properly ...]

mole221

Get over it, it's just one of those things, you can ignore posters br pressing a button, or just not reading their posts, simples :)

ForeverECFC

Get over it, it's just one of those things, you can ignore posters br pressing a button, or just not reading their posts, simples :)
Some would say theres a reason why we have a banter base?

geoffwp

Very well known Exeweb poster
Don't be so bloody stupid. Rae is absolutely right. Devon G was just there to take the **** in a smart ass way. Matchday threads should be for city fans alone, definitely NOT gargs. No place for them at all.

RaeUK

Cleaner
Staff member
mole, I appreciate what you're saying. I guess I'm a little more sensitive to this than most as it is my only means of interracting. However, if it were feasible, I would invoke the old adage that perhaps you should walk a mile in my shoes ...
Forever, exactly.
Geoff, thankyou.

Last edited:

shabbashaz

Well-known Exeweb poster
Exactly Rae, no-one wants their drivel on a matchday thread, there's enough from our own fans for that ;)

In all seriousness, Banter Base is there for a reason, I can't be arsed to sign up for dotnet or pasoti, but if I did, I would have better things to do on a matchday afternoon, than go on a rivals matchday thread.

They should be worrying about their own teams demise than what we are doing.....

mole221

Completely agree that these other fans should have something better to do, and would agree that it would be better if they said nothing, but what can be done about it apart from simply ignoring it?

RaeUK

Cleaner
Staff member
Exactly, Shabba. Our Banter Base is both accommodating and lenient. I don't have the intellect for it and post there sparingly. But it often has it's own 'alternative' matchday thread, a perfect home for such comments.
I don't know what we can do about it, mole. I haven't figured out how to 'ignore' posters but probably wouldn't be so inclined. Others will still feel obliged to react anyway, as they did today. I don't want my match spoilt by petty argument. Selfish, I appreciate.
It would be nice if rival posters could be banned from posting on a particular thread. I would hate to see the posters in question banned from exeweb as that would be wrong in my view. But banned from the thread, that'd be a plus. :)

Pete Martin (CTID)

Very well known Exeweb poster
Shirley this is a matter for the Exeweb mods? If we have a perfectly adequate banter base there is no reason whatsoever to introduce matchday banter onto the matchday thread.

The mods can warn such posters, then if transgression continues, ban them.

Sadly a symptom of the modern world, where some people think they can do as they like - and never stop to consider the effect of their actions on others.

antman

Well-known Exeweb poster
Mods used to be well on top of this and there have been occasions where posts from rival fans were taken off the matchday thread minutes after appearing. I don't think we can expect to have mods on here 24/7 though, a lot of them would have been at the game yesterday.

Last edited: