• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Ashes 2010/11

grecian greg

Well-known Exeweb poster
With our cricket season now over (licking my Somerset fan wounds! :'( ) I am now looking forward to the winter!
Bring it on [y]

Nov 25-29: 1st Ashes Test v Australia, Gabba, Brisbane
Dec 3-7: 2nd Ashes Test v Australia, Adelaide
Dec 10-12: v Victoria, Melbourne Cricket Ground, Melbourne
Dec 16-20: 3rd Ashes Test v Australia, Perth
Dec 26-30: 4th Ashes Test v Australia, Melbourne
Jan 3-7: 5th Ashes Test v Australia, Sydney Cricket Ground, Sydney

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
I am looking forward to this series immensely, I wouldn't like to predict the outcome. I think man for man we are stronger than Australia, but in home conditions they will have an advantage. I see it going down to the wire, unlike in 06/07 where even the most optimistic of England fans would have been dreading a possible 0-5.

The mighty Grecian

I still get annoyed thinking about that loss at Adelaide Oval in 2006, I was really really gutted at the time.

Just like in 2009 I think it will be very very close with a session or two deciding the outcome.

I think Aussies will win it just, I predicted it would be 2-2 in the 2006 so what do I know

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
I think Aussies will win it just, I predicted it would be 2-2 in the 2006 so what do I know
I hate to look back to what I predicted in 2006 - probably came over all Glenn McGrath and bravely tipped us to win!

The writing was on the wall for me, though, when Duncan Fletcher ignored the strong summer we'd had and reverted to Flintoff as Skip and the Wheelie Bin in place of the in-form Monteh.

EX4 6PX

Well-known Exeweb poster
I think that England have more matchwinners, based on how the Aussies lined up in the last Ashes series, but its all about who steps up and delivers. KP is looking like a big gamble unless he gets his head straight. The bowling gives me cause for some optimism. I think that England can and will do it.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Squad announcement

Andrew Strauss (C) (Middlesex)
Alastair Cook (VC) (Essex)
James Anderson (Lancashire)
Ian Bell (Warwickshire)
Tim Bresnan (Yorkshire)
Stuart Broad (Nottinghamshire)
Paul Collingwood (Durham)
Steven Davies (wk) (Surrey)
Steven Finn (Middlesex)
Eoin Morgan (Middlesex)
Monty Panesar (Sussex)
Kevin Pietersen (Hampshire)
Matt Prior (wk) Sussex)
Graeme Swann (Nottinghamshire)
Chris Tremlett (Surrey)
Jonathan Trott (Warwickshire)

The mighty Grecian

I would have gone with Shahzad, who is a quality bowler but not to be, can't complain much decent squad.

of the squad that has been announced for 2010/2011 ashes 7 members were in the 2006/2007 squad that got thumped 5-0

I am excited bring it on :D

Sandstorm

I would have gone with Shahzad, who is a quality bowler but not to be, can't complain much decent squad.

of the squad that has been announced for 2010/2011 ashes 7 members were in the 2006/2007 squad that got thumped 5-0

I am excited bring it on :D
I would also have taken Shahzad and Rashid and not Panesar. Shahzad can reverse swing it as well as being a decent lower order batsman. Very much in the Simon Jones mould of bowler. Rashid deserves a chance at some point, especially if we opt for 2 spinners at Sydney. He can also bat a bit unlike Panesar. Pleased for Tremlett as well he deserves a crack.

Peronally I think we will get d*cked 4-1 or 4-0. Too many of the batsmen are brittle and prone to terrible collapses. Anderson has no form in Australia and will struggle, Broad will lose his cool and Finn is going to be targeted hard by the Aussies to try and break him.

If the batsmen get low totals putting pressure on our bowlers I think we will crumble pretty easily. It is all on the top 6 to define how the series goes IMO and they just look too flakey.

Strongbow

Well-known Exeweb poster
Also pleased for Tremlett, but would rather see him playing for Surrey next summer than England. Same goes for Davies.

Red Nose

I still get annoyed thinking about that loss at Adelaide Oval in 2006, I was really really gutted at the time.
I remember going into work that morning and a colleague telling me I looked like I'd seen a ghost. That was of course 3 days before I flew out for the final 3 tests. ;)

The first 3 test are beckoning for me this time around and I know a few other city fans making the trip. Any other exewebbers going?