• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

A naive, but genuine, question

andrew p long

Very well known Exeweb poster
Why do most people posting on Exeweb use a made up name?

Pete Martin (CTID)

Not one for WoWS I suspect?

It's not peculiar to Exeweb. Most football forums (indeed most internet forums of any kind) are peppered with aliases.

Not so much in recent times but in past years a lot of people wrote letters to newspapers under an alias and asked the papers to withold names and addresses.

Obviously the main reason people do it is to remain anonymous (especially the keyboard warriors) but a few with aliases do become well known over time if they're prominent within the club.

PeteUSA

Not one for WoWS I suspect?
So do I....!

Mr Jan Yeo

Well-known Exeweb poster
If you use it at work then it can be bad :D That was one of the reasons that I asked Mr E to change my username, sadly he declined.

Fez Army HQ - somewhere behind enemy lines ..
I guess if you did use your real name it's just yet another web based reference point with your details - particularly if you have a slightly more unusual surname that can be more easily traced. Much the same reason why I sacked my facebook account - Way too much information in the public domain.

Not that I have anything to hide mind you ;) ( .. for the benefit of police, HMRC, CSA .... etc )

Grecian_Jay

For me it was just to change my extremely boring name. I didn't think being called James was that interesting and probably quite common, and I wanted to personalise it to Exeter City a bit more.

Some of the usernames on here really interest me though, some I just don't understand but hey.

LOG

As i've made known before, mine is my initials.

LammieLammieLammie

I think there are more connections to "real" names now than there used to be. When I joined, there were more people either 1) posting stuff that was a bit confidential about people and / or the club 2) wanted to be critical of the club without giving away their identity 3) wanted to recognise their City heroes of days gone by .

Hunterwasmyhero used to post quite a lot back then, and Fred Binneys Head, and Cliff Bastins shorts, so I thought I would use one of my favourite terrace chants of all time, linked to one of my favourite players.

Besides, the username andrew p long had already gone.

Boyo

An I interesting topic and no doubt the material for many a thesis!

Clearly these forums would be very different if posters used real names. Anonymous names give people the freedom to speak their mind which on one hand can be liberating, on the other it can lead to a lot of drivel that we see on here.

rightwing

Well-known Exeweb poster
Just check the personal profile of each poster. Many give your actual name - I know mine does.