• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter Chiefs Premiership money

pete_h

This is how much the Chiefs can expect to get from their promotion to the Guinness Premiership. This is via someone at Premier Rugby:

Exeter will receive £1.1million and five shares in Premier Rugby (the most a club can earn to become full members is 40 shares). Five shares are earned for each season in the Premiership. Total amount of funding a club receives is around £2.6 million - this comes from TV revenue and national sponsorship.

NB Exeter will lose £200,000 in RFU funding and a twelfth share of £1m funding from Premier Rugby (£83,000 approx) after relinquishing their Championship status. So we can say Exeter gains around £800,000 from promotion in addition to increased attendances and commercial income they generate themselves.

One other thing - this is the first time a club from either Devon or Cornwall have been promoted to the Guinness Premiership and given the strong level of support for the game there, English rugby in general will be very happy to see it happen.

Last edited:

Antony Moxey

Very well known Exeweb poster
What else do they get? You mention TV money but I assume that that is a blanket payment the same as all the other Premiership teams get - I would assume they get an additional payment for each time they are shown live, whether home or away?

citydrinker

2 minute hobble from the nearest pub. Or in it.
What else do they get?
It seems to be quite sensitive information with regard to the income break downs of the separate TV rights deals with both Sky & ESPN.

However, other income streams may well rise significantly.

Up to 93% more for season tickets in the Grandstand for instance. At £540 thats an eye watering amount. Comparable (just) poorly to Champions, Leicester, but £95 more than Gloucester.I understand that existing season ticket holders will get a measly £30 discount.

Corporate sponsors will take up half the stands 2,400 capacity and will also have use of the members' bar before kick-off. I'd imagine that their prices will also rocket.

Matchday prices start at £39 with no child's discount.

There are also of course likely to be more lucrative matchday advertising deals to be done, especially for televised matches and as for the price of a pint of Guinness.......

Its gonna be a big bucks bonanza should they survive, but should they become the leagues whipping boys, it could also all end in tears and expensive player contracts to maintain. A bit like the top Division of our beloved Footie really.

Sparky

£39 is a high price to watch egg chasing, well paying anything is stupid. Mind you it is premiership rugby. Can't imagine many regulars are happy with the increase, I wouldn't be.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
£39 for a kid to watch Rugby is utterly contemptible.

Frankly given the money-grabbing there, the respect I had for the Chiefs is rapidly diminishing.

Sparky

Frankly given the money-grabbing there, the respect I had for the Chiefs is rapidly diminishing.
I didn't particularly have any in the first place. But, fair play to getting promoted.

Antony Moxey

It's £39 for the best seat, the cheapest standing is, I think, £7 for kids.

Sparky

ok. I spose that is reasonable for premiership rugby.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
It's £39 for the best seat, the cheapest standing is, I think, £7 for kids.
Ah, so Citydrinker is wrong then!

Antony Moxey

Yes he is, the £39 price is the price you pay to sit in the West Stand (the big stand) and is the most expensive seat in the ground. There are cheaper seats and cheaper standing.

The thing with the West Stand is that *I think* last season an adult and child could sit there for £24 and £10 respectively, next season it's £39 across the board in that stand (only) with no concessions for kids, OAPs etc etc.