• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Speedway Latest

Alan Crockford

Well-known Exeweb poster
Anyone know the latest with Exeter's 'missing' third team.

Is Trumpy still working at it, or are all the plans dead in the water?

RHINO

With a council like ours it was never going to work and the final straw was all the clauses that the owners of Haldon Racecourse wanted in place A BL**DING DISGRACE CONSIDERING THE LONG AND FAMOUS HISTORY OF THE FLYING FALCONS

Oldsmobile-88

Very well known Exeweb poster
It looks like game over for the Falcons...A shame because they had a proud history..Who could forget in the heyday of British Speedway,the British Championship coming to The County Ground in 1974....

Too many rules & regulations to adhere to these days to start a venue from scratch..

East Devon Council & Teignbridge Council had the say over Westpoint & Haldon..

Alan Crockford

Well-known Exeweb poster
Ah, right. Not good news. There must be a soggy corner of Marsh Barton that could squeeze in a nice tight track - or would we have to stick to the old County Ground dimensions?! - without too many residential or evening traffic problems?

LOG

would we have to stick to the old County Ground dimensions?
IIRC, the County Ground circuit was one of the longest in the country. There aren't any set dimensions although there may be a minimum and maximum, i suppose.

I remember seeing Bruce Cribb go around, after he left the Falcons, on his ice speedway bike with the studded tyres and beating the long standing track record. It didn't count, but ah, the memories.

Last edited:

GrecianLez

Administrator
Staff member
I go and watch the Plymouth Devils :$ there are a few ex falcons involved

tada

PeteUSA

Regretfully I think we're just left with all those fond fading memories of yesteryear. I believe Speedway is over for the Falcons, and when I see the attendances at some of our other rival tracks i.e. Poole, Swindon etc. I think the sport in general is going through a similar decline as it did in the mid to late 1950's, when Exeter closed down through lack of interest, before being started up again by Geoff Pymar and Cyril Roger (Long before the Wally Mawdsley era).

Legendary riders like Jack Geran, Jack Hart, Johnny Sargent, Ron Barrett, Don Hardy, Alfie Webster, Neil Street, Francis Cann, and my own personal favorite and friend Goog Hoskin (RIP). It was nothing to get over 10,000 at a bank holiday monday meeting in those days.

Westpoint might have worked for those with a car, but I feel Haldon was a bit of a stretch, although I dont think it really matters.

Sadly I fear, its gone for good this time. :'(

RHINO

Its gone if we let it go, LETS START A CAMPAIGN TO BRING IT BACK, GOOD HONEST SPORT FOR ALL THE FAMILY COME ONNNNNNNNN!

4ORDY

Well done to Chris "Bomber" Harris the Ex Falcons rider who has just won the British Championship, a true racer...

C0CK-N0SE