• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

first chance 10k Exeter

copplered

its the first chance 10k next sunday, and i have an entry if anyone wants it, i,m injured so cant run.

The course is dead flat starting and finishing down near the quay

Ian_Woodward

What sort of runners enter this? is there a mixture or is it just elite sort of runners?

copplered

have a look on swrr web site it will give you last years results, but you get elite and fun runners, last year i ran just over 37mins so sub 6 min miling and was hoping to beat it this time

Ian_Woodward

Jesus that's quick, what sort of training do you do?

I have only been running a few months, trying to get my 1.5miler sub 8:15.

copplered

bet youre addicted now to running, as for me ive been running for about 30 years, dont get any pb's any more, but got some impressive pb's
69 mins for half marathon, is about my best run ever, now in my mid-late 40's so slowing up a little

Ian_Woodward

Very quick!

Yes i love it, run every day now with 1 day rest a week. Back in August i couldn't run 1/4 mile at any pace lol but now i can do 10+ miles easy! Only problem i get is shin splints which are very annoying but they seem to be getting better.

What advice would you give to get my times down? I haven't really had any advice, just been doing a mixture of long distance runs and 1.5 mile best efforts.

Alan Crockford

Well-known Exeweb poster
Only problem i get is shin splints which are very annoying but they seem to be getting better.
Careful Ian. I fear that means you need to swap one or two of those six weekly runs for gym/physio. What you feel in your shins will sooner or later be your back, so you need to do some of the dreaded core conditioning stuff.

As a bit of a footballer - I can't run well,, and certainly not without a ball to chase - I've been putting this off for about 20 years and instead have to cope with pain in shins, groin, abs, back, etc, all of which would probably be sorted if I increased general strength and flexibility.

Last edited:

Alan Crockford

Well-known Exeweb poster
Sorry. Just re-read that and it sounds very pompous. In fact, I think I'm talking to myself - NY resolutions and all that - by talking to you. Apols.

PS: Awesome times Copplered. You could run from my home to work quicker than my daily commute.

Ian_Woodward

Yea i'm doing alot of core work now, i think the shin splints are because i spent 2 years lifting weights with no cardio fitness at all so whereas my natural weight is probaly about 11stone i'm currently around 14. I never used to get problems before so i believe a mixture of weight + wrong shoes led to them i also used to battle through the pain and keep running which was stupid.

They do seem to be getting much better since i've started treating them, also been using exmouth beach alot which puts less stress. I've been told to go running around a football pitch instead of road but i get bored after 2 laps! anyways enough yapping i'm off for a 9 miler, been putting it off since 2pm!

nosrem1986

Id definitely take that entry off your hands, if it hasn't disappeared already? live in Exmouth but work in Exeter, drop me a msg at [email protected]

Cheers Tom