• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Spoty

Incontinentia

Nominations announced and betting underway.

Best odds:

Button: 8/11
Ennis: 9/2
Haye: 8/1
Giggs: 10/1
Strauss: 16/1

Rest are 50/1 or better.

Thoughts? No surprise for Button to be favourite but I wonder if there is value in Haye? Boxers often do well in SPOTY and his triumph was recent.

Ennis is a yay but is the World Championship an interesting enough event? Giggs is more a lifetime achievement candidate. Strauss probably deserves it as he took the captaincy with England in an awful state and it was hard to imagine he would take back the Ashes even against a mediocre Australia.

Alan Crockford

Well-known Exeweb poster
Can I admit to not knowing who Ennis is?

Incontinentia

Jessica Ennis - won the heptathlon at the World Championships, easy on the eye.

angelic upstart

Very well known Exeweb poster
I'd bet on Haye or Giggs.

Interesting that he was deemed the best of the footballing bunch. I can't see Button getting it, for a number of reasons. He almost blew it, he has moved teams, wasn't very "popular" in the first place.

mammooman

The BBC absolutly love Grumpy Murray, wouldn't be surprised to see him get it, not that I agree one bit. I don't think Strauss will win, he's more likely to win 'Team of the Year' with the whole England Squad, same with Giggs with the Lifetime jobby. Button could win it, what with F1 back on the BBC. Haye is a possibility but he's only had one fight this year, maybe a future lifetime awardee?

Aslong as Daley doesn't win it i'll be happy.

Incontinentia

No chance for Murray. Didn't get into the top three (albeit in a tough year) when he was a US Open finalist and this year has been one of consolidation and steady progress at best, not triumph. You can get him at 150-1 (and better than that on Betfair).

Giggs has now come right in. Latest best is:

Button: evens from 8/11
Ennis: 11/2 from 9/2
Haye: 12/1 from 8/1
Giggs: 9/2 from 10/1
Strauss: 18/1 from 16/1

Still 50/1 or better for the rest.

Last edited:

Dr Hook

I'm not worthy enough to pass comment on who deserves to win - I don't know even kno who the cyclists are. I would say that it is best to look at a fair size poll, unfortunately I haven't seen any on the net bigger than 30 votes.

Last year I managed to find one with over a thousand votes which threw up Chris Hoy at 7/2, as clear in the polls. I only had a fiver on it (oh to have cohones).

If I find any I'll put a link on here. It would be appreciated if anyone else finds something.

Last edited:

Dr Hook

Results are in from the poll I had to take part in, which aren't exciting I'm afraid. They pretty much mirror the latest odds, with Button, Giggs & Ennis as top 3 in that order. Not sure if Poundstretcher wants to provide his statistical insight into the poll:
Jenson Button (World Formula One Champion) 29.8% 257
Andrew Strauss (part of Cricket Ashes winning Team) 2.1% 18
Jessica Ennis (Heptathlon World Championships Gold) 13.2% 114
Ryan Giggs (Footballer) 21.9% 189
Tom Daley (15 years old, Diving FINA World Championship Gold) 7.7% 66
David Haye (Heavyweight Boxer) 4.2% 36
Mark Cavendish (Cyclist, won 6 stages of Tour De France) 10.6% 91
Andy Murray (British #1 Tennis player) 4.2% 36
Beth Tweddle (Gymnastics World Championships Gold) 5.7% 49
Phillips Idowu (Triple Jump World Championships Gold) 0.7% 6
Total votes 862 - I believe this is a fair sample, MORI only use about 2,000 to predict a general election.

Alan Crockford

Well-known Exeweb poster
It is one of those where you wonder about remortgaging the house to place a 'proper' bet on Button in order to win an easy 50k.

Hmmm...

Dr Hook

It is one of those where you wonder about remortgaging the house to place a 'proper' bet on Button in order to win an easy 50k.

Hmmm...
I'm now none the wiser after reading the Mail & Guardian polls. They don't show numbers but the Mail shows 34% Giggs followed by 29% Button & the Guardian shows Cavendish 20%, Ennis 18%, Giggs 16%, Button 14%.

I won't be putting the house on it now.