• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Squads announced for SA

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Biggest shock for me is Luke Wright in the Test squad. Not sure what he would contribute to the side.

Sajid "I'll bowl it and hope for the best" Mahmood in the ODI side. No place for Bopara, Harmy. Owais out of the ODI side.

The mighty Grecian

play one of the most impressive innings of your careers and the two matches later get replaced by Alastair Cook nice one England

International

Well-known Exeweb poster
Liam Plunkett?!?! Is our bowling depth that poor?

The mighty Grecian

to be fair Plunkett has had a good season for Durham, I doubt he will play though

Jimmy Anderson, Broad and Onions will be the front line seamers I hope they have the ability to cause problems to the South African batsmen

Last edited:

International

Well-known Exeweb poster
Are they not currently on an unbeaten run of 10 successive series including away wins over both England and Australia? Or is that my imagination?

South Africa lost the Test Series at home to Australia a few months ago .

finetime

Biggest shock for me is Luke Wright in the Test squad. Not sure what he would contribute to the side.

Sajid "I'll bowl it and hope for the best" Mahmood in the ODI side. No place for Bopara, Harmy. Owais out of the ODI side.
Bopara, Harmy and Owais all deserved to be ditched IMO. Especially Owais.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
It wasn't a shock to me that Owais was dropped despite his decent Champions' Trophy and the fact he was probably the most consistent ODI performer over the past 2-3 years. The perception of his fielding has made him a scapegoat - having watched recently the highlights from the 94/95 Ashes tour he'd probably have been our sharpest fielder! - and the return of KP was always going to push him slightly down the pecking order.

Had it been a sub-Continent series, however, I would've been apoplectic had he not been in both squads.

Harmy will finally have got the message hopefully that you don't take the pi55 and expect to play, while Bopara is simply not good enough.

Strongbow

Well-known Exeweb poster
Liam Plunkett?!?! Is our bowling depth that poor?
No, but the England selectors cant see the wood for the trees.

Hopefully England will use the series against Bangladesh to rest a few players and give a few others a chance, I'm planning on going and wouldn't mind seeing an England side where I dont dislike the majority of the players.

CREDYGRECIAN

Very well known Exeweb poster
Loving the free flowing entertaining football at S
Plunkett isnt a suprise for me , he's added some wheels and can bat as well...

certainly feel he's worth his squad place.

Im not a massive Owais Shah fan , and he's the worst fielder by a country mile in the current england set ups with Monty out. But id do believe his batting should of earnt him a place in the ODI squad.

Other than that no real suprises