• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Local Knowledge needed from Grecians 'oop north'!

Yes, I know. It was stupid, stupid, stupid to book the family holiday before the fixtures came out. I bloody hate that fixtures computer!

So ... I have been looking at how I can leave the family for as little time as possible, and get to Elland Road. Best I can find seems to be Palma, Mallorca to Liverpool. : -

DEP Palma 10.15
ARR Liverpool 11.50

DEP Liverpool 19.50
ARR Palma 23.20

Would need me to hire a car at Liverpool for the day, and multimap tells me that Elland Road to Liverpool Airport is '70.53 miles about 1 hour 18 minutes'. Given that the airline want me at Check In desk by no later than 6.50pm, my question is this: -

Is it possible to park close enough to Elland Road that I will make it? If I get out the ground by 5pm(*), can I reach Liverpool Airport in time to dump the hire car and reach the check-in desk 1 hour 50 minutes later - on a match day?

(* Assumes no injury time. Could do without it being against 'Dirty Leeds'!)

Thames Valley Red

Yes, I know. It was stupid, stupid, stupid to book the family holiday before the fixtures came out. I bloody hate that fixtures computer!

So ... I have been looking at how I can leave the family for as little time as possible, and get to Elland Road. Best I can find seems to be Palma, Mallorca to Liverpool. : -

DEP Palma 10.15
ARR Liverpool 11.50

DEP Liverpool 19.50
ARR Palma 23.20

Would need me to hire a car at Liverpool for the day, and multimap tells me that Elland Road to Liverpool Airport is '70.53 miles about 1 hour 18 minutes'. Given that the airline want me at Check In desk by no later than 6.50pm, my question is this: -

Is it possible to park close enough to Elland Road that I will make it? If I get out the ground by 5pm(*), can I reach Liverpool Airport in time to dump the hire car and reach the check-in desk 1 hour 50 minutes later - on a match day?

At Elland Road you will find car parks next to the ground, as its sort of out of town next to the motorway junction. If you are pushed for time you might need to leave with 10 mins to go to get to the airport missing the queues. What about Doncaster, Teeside or East Midlands airport? the M62 is notorious for delays etc.

Have you considered getting on the Trans Pennine Express, you dump a car at say Warrington by the motorway and get the train up.

UTC

TVR
PS. well played makes me think of returning from Halkadiki.
PPS. We have supporters up that way that could pick you up......saving time getting the hire car.

Last edited:
At Elland Road you will find car parks next to the ground, as its sort of out of town next to the motorway junction. If you are pushed for time you might need to leave with 10 mins to go to get to the airport missing the queues.
Thanks, TVR - just what I needed. If car park is next to motorway, I'm going for it! I WILL be pushed for time, but I'm buggered if I'm going to make a round trip like that and miss the last 10 minutes! Just need to go even quicker on the way back! :)

What about Doncaster, Teeside or East Midlands airport? the M62 is notorious for delays etc ... We have supporters up that way that could pick you up......saving time getting the hire car.
I wish. Liverpool is the only airport with a flight time that takes off after the game - and a bit reluctant to involve anyone else in having to race me there. If I was them, I'd want to hang around in Yorkshire, maybe take in a post-match curry, and glory in having played a league game in front of 30,000 people - not scuttle down the M62 at stupid mph!

weezer

DEP Palma 10.15
ARR Liverpool 11.50

DEP Liverpool 19.50
ARR Palma 23.20

Multimap tells me that slimey waiter will be all over the missus before you make it to the airport...up the city.

rogerc

For those driving, excellent directions and a downloadable pdf map is available

http://www.leedsunited.com/page/Directions/0,,10273,00.html

sheepshead

godsown, from liverpool airport to ER should take about 1hour in a car as both are close to motorways.
when coming down m621 to ER leave at J1 and take 3rd exit following ring road,dont turn left to ER car parks stay on ring road up to roundabout (about 500mts)go all the way round and come back down the other side.take 1st left right after pelican crossing and park your car there its free and staight back onto motorway when leaving,car parks are a nightmare to get out of if you dont leave early.also other side of the road is the drysalters pub which is away fan freindly.
as a leeds S/T holder i always park here and use this pub its good to meet away fans and have a drink an a bit of banter,it's about a 10 min walk to the ground from the pub.
so traffic permitting on the motorways you should see all the game and get back to liverpool for your plane with time to spare.

p.s i addmire your comitment to watch your team lets hope you have an enjoyable day.

Last edited:
godsown, from liverpool airport to ER should take about 1hour in a car as both are close to motorways.
when coming down m621 to ER leave at J1 and take 3rd exit following ring road,dont turn left to ER car parks stay on ring road up to roundabout (about 500mts)go all the way round and come back down the other side.take 1st left right after pelican crossing and park your car there its free and staight back onto motorway when leaving,car parks are a nightmare to get out of if you dont leave early.also other side of the road is the drysalters pub which is away fan freindly.
as a leeds S/T holder i always park here and use this pub its good to meet away fans and have a drink an a bit of banter,it's about a 10 min walk to the ground from the pub.
so traffic permitting on the motorways you should see all the game and get back to liverpool for your plane with time to spare.

p.s i addmire your comitment to watch your team lets hope you have an enjoyable day.
Top Man Sheepshead! Thanks for all the info - exactly what I wanted.

Cheers.

Thames Valley Red

One LOVE mate its normal for City fans!

UTC

TVR
Ps. The next game he flys back from Thailand! <winks!>

eurogrecian

Get TVR to give you a lift - he's never failed to get me to a flight on time despite some scary timetables!

Thames Valley Red

EuroGrecian,

As much as I would love too, this time I cant, as an impending birth of second child may mean I am not at the match and at worst leaving during the game. The lads coming with me have been warned they may become stranded. That said East Midlands is a good shout for a pickup for this match.

UTC

TVR