• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Early Bath

When I log on, say for the first time that day, go to WOWS each thread that has new posts since I last logged on is indicated with a "tick" to the left of the thread, fine, but when I have ploughed through a thread and read EVERY post on it, the "tick" disappeared indicating that there were no more new posts on that thread. This seems to be no longer happening. The "tick" remains on the thread! even though there are no new posts outstanding. Seems to be the case in Banter Base & other forums as well.

newburygrecian

Sounds like a problem with your browser settings. How are you getting from the thread to the forum? As in are you pressing 'Back' or are you navigating using the links on the thread? In my experience, pressing back doesn't reset your cookies and leaves it looking as though you haven't read any posts.

Early Bath

Sounds like a problem with your browser settings. How are you getting from the thread to the forum? As in are you pressing 'Back' or are you navigating using the links on the thread? In my experience, pressing back doesn't reset your cookies and leaves it looking as though you haven't read any posts.
I never press back, always use the links on the thread

glos_grecian

Did you mess with your cookies during the Orange award poll?

Just a thought. :)

Last edited:

Early Bath

Did you mess with your cookies during the Orange award poll?

Just a thought. :)
No, but, I do occasionally clear out all my cookies.

exeweb

Administrator
No, but, I do occasionally clear out all my cookies.
That could explain it then!

That's the only way the system has of "remembering" you and what you've been doing on the site. If you remove it, that record is lost.

It's a commonly held misconception that cookies are evil. Most use of cookies are for the end user's benefit. The worst that can happen is that you will see targetted marketing messages from time to time when you vist certain websites.

Early Bath

That could explain it then!

That's the only way the system has of "remembering" you and what you've been doing on the site. If you remove it, that record is lost.
It's a commonly held misconception that cookies are evil. Most use of cookies are for the end user's benefit. The worst that can happen is that you will see targetted marketing messages from time to time when you vist certain websites.
I knew that,but, I assumed that when I relog in the relevent cookie is replaced as is proven when I don't log in but only lurk there is no indication at all of any new posts etc.