• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Rotherham Drinking Establishments

mammooman

So, as gathered from previous posts and little bit of t'internet research it seems the pubs around the ground are few and far between and not the most fantastic of places.

My own personal plans are to 'follow the crowd'. But 3 hours to spare after the match does allow for plently of potential celebration time and drink consuming. After asking a mate who has recently moved to Sheffield he recommends the following pub for drinkers, and what a name!

The Devonshire Cat - modern purpose built pub where you walk in to be greeted with a long, L-shaped polished wood bar with beer pumps the full length. The Dev Cat offers a range of 12 Real Ales at any one time, plus a couple of Ciders, various draught continental beers and several fridges full of bottled beers from around the world.

Only problem is that it is 3miles from the Stadium. But may be well worth a visit.

Pub Website
Don Valley to Devonshire Cat

benh

The Dev Cat is the best pub I've ever been in for choice of drink. They have over a hundred beers (local ales and imports) and usually a few barrels of cider. It isn't really a football pub, but if you are well behaved they should be fine. If you're getting the tram, it is only a minute from West Street where there are a few stops.

West Street is basically pub street, with Division Street behind it having its fair share of bars also.

If you want cheap try: Cavendish, Varsity, Banker's Draft
If you want traditional pub try: The Red Deer, The Washington.
If you want classy try: The Devonshire Cat, Bungalows + Bears, The Old House, Dogma

All are within a minute of a tram stop. Check http://www.sheffieldpub.co.uk/pubs/city-centre/ for details.

Red the Paper

Banned
EXcellent choices Ben. I was in West Street and Division street last year and will be their again Friday/Saturday night.

Are Sheffield Wednesday playing Cardiff on Saturday or Sunday? Could be an interesting overnight either way because I am sure there will be plenty from both teams making it a lively weekend.

loobygrecian

Very well known Exeweb poster
Sheffield Wednesday are home to Cardiff on Sunday 13:15 kick off.

Last edited:

Red the Paper

Banned
Sheffield Wednesday are home to Cardiff on Sunday 13:15 kick off.
Thanks Louise. I bet a few Cardiff will be in town on the Saturday night.

EXcellent choices Ben. I was in West Street and Division street last year and will be their again Friday/Saturday night.

Are Sheffield Wednesday playing Cardiff on Saturday or Sunday? Could be an interesting overnight either way because I am sure there will be plenty from both teams making it a lively weekend.
I agree West Street and Division Street are very good.

I would have thought that you would have no chance of getting in most of the pubs wearing any football colours, although fancy dress in Flares would probably go down well.

Red Nose

Can anyone reccommend any decent boozers near the train station?

benh

There is a Scream bar just up the hill. Kinda studenty but very cheap drinks. You come out the front of the train station and the hill is directly in front of you. Cross a couple of roads and its 30 seconds up the hill on your left.

Last edited:

Dubai Grecian

So anyone done a "Wembley" and contacted a preffered pub that we can meet at?

Can anyone reccommend any decent boozers near the train station?
'The Howard' is within a very mild stroll of the station (pretty much opposite) and from memory, is the pub of choice for away fans visiting Bramall Lane. Standard fair as far as pubs are concerned, but accomodating-enough and reasonably priced.

Last edited: