• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Andy Flower

The mighty Grecian

officially England's new Coach

good move in my opinion he was quality player in his days

geoffwp

Very well known Exeweb poster
Just hope he can take the locker room along with him. A lot of 'personalities' involved who all seem to want to have their say. I don't see he will have a issue about working with Strauss, but Pieterson? and Flintoff? We shall see. A massive amount of work to be done before the ashes. Not good news today about Jones.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Good luck to him - I suspect he won't take any cr*p, especially from FIGJAM.

Remember, this is the player that effectively ended his (glowing) International career by standing shoulder to shoulder with Henry Olonga. And for that he will always have my utmost respect.

Gozzer

I hope this is the start of a more settled spell for England. All the chopping and changing, not to mention the egos involved, won't help in the preparation for regaining the ashes. They could have got the right man, but then the same could have been true for Moores if everyone had been pulling together. That is the first thing that Flower needs to achieve. Good luck to him.

CREDYGRECIAN

Loving the free flowing entertaining football at S
Safety first again from England.

I know he's good friends with Doug Hondo , our (sandfords) overseas player last year ex Zimbabwe internation , who has recently been coaching the Zim bowlers...maybe Dougie will get a call...

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Why safety first? Who out there was available, willing, and "safety second"? I'd have liked Tom Moody, but I believe he wasn't interested.

Flower has been making all the right noises, and importantly has earned the respect of those around him - even turning around FIGJAM after he wanted him out with Moores originally. One criticism levelled at Moores was his lack of International experience (not that I think it should matter a jot). This is not something one can level at Flower, whose test batting average compares favourably with KP (and he had to keep wicket too in most of his matches).

Interesting comments about him from those who were involved with him previously:

http://content.cricinfo.com/england/content/story/399553.html

CREDYGRECIAN

I would of gone Ian Botham in.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
If Botham had got in, I would've stopped watching England. He spouts a lot, but more often than not is so far wide of the mark, both Umps would have to stand side by side with arms outstretched.

I feel he's more than happy to stand on the side criticising rather than get in there being criticised - and was a woeful England Captain.

Gozzer

I would of gone Ian Botham in.
On the basis of what ability to do the job?

I bet you were happy with Keegan as England manager as well. :D

CREDYGRECIAN

I want to see them all drinking a lot and smoking the odd joint on the balcony.

Cricket is too boring these days.