• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Most and least favourite away grounds ever visited

sortitoutfoxy

I'll start this off with a topical opinion.

My favourite ever away ground was Feethams, the former home of Darlo. It had everything you want from a lower league football ground.

The West Stand where the away fans were placed was accessible only down a cobbled road, when you got there you had a fantastic little stand alongside the pitch with a choice to stand in the paddock at the front or sit in the stand behind the rowdy standers. The atmosphere was always pretty good, the entrance was cheap and even the beer in town was cheap. All adding to a great day out in a great town.

My least favourite ground (or "arena") is the new fangled Northern Echo (Reynolds - call it what you will) Darlington Arena.

The one time I've been there to support City was undoubtedly a great occasion and nothing can take that away. But the rediculous white elephant of a stadium certainly did its best to spoil it...

It's famously all seater (and theres a bloody hell of a lot of seats at that) and far far far too big to make any atmosphere when only one in ten seats is occupied and one whole side is empty. Its also out of town which means not being able to see as much of the town (or pubs) due to the trek out to the ground. And of course the cost of the beer significantly rises inside the ground (at about the same rate the quality goes down...).

The cost of admission has also sky-rocketed. This has all led to a fer less enjoyable one day of the season for me and you.

But its far worse for the Darlo faithful who now have this to look forward to every week AND this new "arena" may well end up being the entire end for Darlo FC. Their recent stadium move has been described as moving from a two bed semi to a seven (try 27,500!) bed mansion - and everyone knows what'll happen if your salary isn't big enough to mantain the mortgage payments.

I just hope they have as many willing people as City did prepared to put a lot of time and money into the running of their trust - because after the sh*t dies down we know it'll be left to them to scrape up whatever's left.

Anybody else have any particular favourites or anti-favourites? A link between the two gets bonus points...

RHINO

Most favorite ground has to be SJ Park with the cowshed what a noise we made from there least favorite any all seater stadiums what a load of b*ll*cks that idea has been

Stamford in the f.a. vase,what an experience !!
least favourite proper ground never like the new modern small style grounds like Rusden and Northanpton(sixfields)
Favourite would have to be wembley if you can count this as an away ground now we seem to be visiting it every year !

Pete03

Favorite ground would be port vale (don't know why just had something about it for me) Also villa park and doncaster's old ground Belle Vue (sh*t hole i know) But to me it was pretty special:) and was very sad to see it go. because the keepmoat is just as bad IMO.

Red the Paper

Banned
Worst is Anfield. If you fill a place full of rubbish it stinks of rubbish.

Best away ground is; Upton Park. I was away at the time

josh4ecfc64

Well-known Exeweb poster
Don't really want to go to Chester again.

Nott C Bradford & Vale all have nice stadiums in this league. Looking forward to Kenilworth road as well :)

Chesterfield's ground= Awsome.

Scooterboy 65

I liked Port vale great for me there and Macclesfield as Got treated brilliant there.
Chester well say no more and I didn't go alot on Bradford really

surf123

Favourite Darlington great stadium and day out. Least favorite Grimsby .

Bathgrecian

I always liked going to Brisbain Road when it had two proper ends- mind you winning three nil probably helped.

I really liked Stokes old ground as well, bags of atmosphere.

I didn't like Tamworth (but not for the ground) and Stockport was horrible to.

Grecian2K

Very well known Exeweb poster
Current favourite "away" ground has to be New Wembley......or does that qualify as a (second) home one now??