• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City - A Bound Newspaper History

I got a sales email today from TOFFS. Out of curisoity, I looked at the range of products they supply for Everton, and saw something called a Football Newspaper Book. They do these for loads of clubs - but not ours.

So, I sent a quick email using their 'Contact Us' button, and asked if we needed to guarantee a certain number of sales, for them to do their minimum print run etc. Here is the reply I received: -

"... The key to answering your question is to understand if there is enough coverage in the Daily Mirror over the last 100 years about Exeter City.

We are only licenced to use this title and cannot mix or match with others.

If you want a single match report printed on a standard A3 sheet, then the min run would be about 50, and cost per sheet would be £10, but we would charge £500 to do basic research and to scan relevant paper/s.

To create a 100 year history book, like we have with 51 other teams, assuming there was sufficient coverage, there would be about a £5,000 development charge irrespective of the print run. So if you purchased 1,000 books, then this would add about £5 per book to the cost.

The base cost excluding development cost would vary from £22.50 to £45 depending upon order volume.

I hope this helps answer your question

Regards

Kevin Spindler
Director - Signature Gifts Ltd ..."

Now, I can't pretend to have read the Daily Mirror very much over the years, and so I'm probably not the best peron to judge whether there is enough coverage to justify making such a book - but I'd be staggered if there wasn't. For a start, I seem to remember that Peter Hatch was the Daily Mirror Player of the Month, when we beat Newcastle in the Cup in 1981!

In reality, I do not have the time, or the expertise concerning printing, to take this matter on. All I know is that if someone - anyone - has the wherewithal and drive to pick this up and run with it, I for one would absolutely love to get a copy. So, over to you ...

ianaplincorners

Not a chance mate, I really can't see it happening, hence probably why its not happened already! Apart from the Cup run and a few pits and pieces around 89/90 their coverage of City will be absolutely nothing.

Would be great if the E&E could do something but they probably have too much stuff, its the cost of doing the research and putting it together though that would be a major problem, now if someone was to do it as a 'labour of love' you maybe on to something but I wouldn't hold your breath.