• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

RIP Bearders

newburygrecian

Sad news today that Bill Frindall, scorer on Test Match Special for over 40 years, has died at the age of 69.

RIP Bill, you and your beard will be sadly missed.

east_mid

Well-known Exeweb poster
Had no idea about this.Listened to Test Match Special for many years & he was an irreplaceable member of the team.RIP

Oldsmobile-88

Very well known Exeweb poster
I used to love listening to Test Match Special...'Jonners' & 'The bearded wonder' were part of the fabric of a summer when i was younger..

mustangspeed2006

Sad news. Test Match Special will never sound the same again.

Northants Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
wot a commentary team being assembled upstairs ... arlott and johnners with the bearded one to keep score ...

Read his book from the late 80s about his scoring system ... was very detailed but well worth the reading !!

NG

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
I couldn't believe it when I saw this on Teletext. Very sad news, especially the nature of his death, to something you'd think was pretty much eradicated in the developed world.

RIP Bearders - to echo the above, take your place alongside Johnners and Arlott and do the scoring in the match involving the Don, Compton, WG and the rest.