• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Does the match matter?

t.a.f.k.a.g.g.

Ok so we lost to Gills for example, we lost to Notts for example. Did it spoil your day?

Winning is great but this season....... Was the 90 mins of football a spoiler for a good day out on the beer with the lads / ladesses?

Would you do it again?

I think on an away day the football is why we are there but (luckily) it plays a small part in the overall experience.

ECFC Nursey!

Very well known Exeweb poster
RIP to City's number nine. Sleep tight love
Away days are the best, you cant win em all. I am in agreement with you on this one. Of course we would all like the team to win every time we travel( and at home), but that wont happen. Away days are special cos alot of people have made the extra effort to be there so it appears more passionate.
I love them!

Antony Moxey

Of course the match matters, that's the whole point! If it was just about the day out then why not pick a match at random and go there with a bunch of mates, or take the train to Weston and spend all day in the pub instead of going to City games all the time.

The match itself is the most important bit, it's why you go.

Oli

It is often a good day out ruined by the football.

angelic upstart

The match matters.

Poultice

The match matters but the result is of less significance.

I couldn't give a fetid dingo's gonads about the result if everybody that pulls on the shirt gives 100% for the full 90. T'would help if Tis would send them out attack in every game, but you can't have everything.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, of course the match matters. Despite a superb day out with some great people, decent beer etc., I was miserable as sin when that final whistle sounded and for a while afterwards.

The memories of the day, however, will probably outlast the memories of the match on this occasion. Not always the case, it has to be said.

LammieLammieLammie

Great great thread!

Yes, the match matters, of course it does, but when the lads put in all the effort, and we are beaten by a better team, it doesn;t hurt so much for me.

I remember the infamous away game at Burton when a load of us went up, and I had been looking forward to the game for weeks. I was so fed up after that game, becasue I had built my hopes up far too high.

Away games are about the craic, the stories, the laughs and the memories you make.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
My "Not always the case" was specifically with Burton in mind!

LammieLammieLammie

I think losing to L2 sides, in decent stadiums, is a lot easier for me to "get over it" quicker, compared to losing at Curzon Ashton and Salisbury. Gills were in the championi 2 seasons ago, while we were fading away in the conference....