• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

G'Day from down under...

OzzyFab

Apologies to the Site Admins if this infringes the rules, it is certainly not our intention to do so but we are a club in strife and wondered if you guys could help us in any way. We know you have your own problems and wish you all the best.

The story is an all to familiar one these days.

At 5pm on Friday 27th November 2008, the Wollongong Wolves, arguably Australia's greatest ever regional football team closed its doors and went out of business.

The contracts of the CEO, players, coaching staff became null and void just 72 days after the club had swept all aside to lift the New South Wales Premier League Champions Trophy.

Members of the former club's operations committees, fans and local businesses rallied together and sought to immediately raise AU$40,000 to save and protect the region's NSW State League Licence.

The initial call for pledges went out and by Sunday 30th November, over AU$55,000 had been promised! This was a huge vindication of the proposal for the community to take full ownership of the region's State League Club and Licence.

We have now established a not for profit organisation (Illawarra & South Coast Supporters Ltd) which follows the UK and European Supporters Trust model as closely as Australian Companies Law will allow.

I&SC Supporters Trust now owns 100% of Wollongong Community Football Club Pty Ltd a trading company set up to run and administer day to day football operations. The new club and trust are currently debt free.

We have lost our ground ( a long story like Brighton, York, Cambridge City, AFC Wimbledon etc..), we have lost our name (a group of former owners maintain the Intellectual Rights to the name Wollongong Wolves) but we are determined not to lose our club or our region's place in the NSW Premier League.

How can you help us:

Visit the new club website (still under construction) at ##URL REMOVED## and make a donation (even a couple of quid goes a long way) or take out a membership. You have the opportunity to be a member of Australia's first ever Supporters Trust!

Tell your friends, family, workmates about our plight and urge them to support our fight.

Post this message on other web forums where you think we will receive a fair hearing from fellow football fans.

Thank you and Keep the Faith.

Cheers
OzzyFab

**** Sorry! Web links not allowed for new users ****
This is an effort to combat spam postings. We apologise for any inconvenience.

Great story of a community pulling togeather to save their local team, the link removed above is this one I think....
http://www.wollongongfc.com.au/

OzzyFab

Thank you Westex Grecian. That is the correct web link. Given the history of this team in the context of Australian Football, it would be a real tragedy if we fail!

Hunterwasmyhero

OzzyFab, I hope that you are talking about real FOOTBALL, not slapball;)

Good luck in your aims. I am sure that all Grecians will feel for your pride in your team.

OzzyFab

I didn't think I needed to explain the football code I was referring to. As far as I am aware there is only one FOOTBALL!!! ;)

But just to confirm, yes, it is our beloved code of the game that we play (often referred to over here as soccer +o( )

OzzyFab

Just to add to this story... Yesterday we set up a Facebook group which you are all welcome to join...

heathy1

Very well known Exeweb poster
These Nigerian money scammers will try anything

OzzyFab

These Nigerian money scammers will try anything
I do hope that this was posted "tongue-in-cheek"... This is a genuine plea for assistance...

David Boyle from Supporters Direct has also been in contact with us recently...

Yes, we will try anything, but not as scammers, rather in the name of saving our football club!