• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Bob Kilby

Brian Moore

Falcons legend dies yesterday aged 64- one of the best gaters the old CG ever saw - not too friendly with Ivan Mauger though. RIP Bob.

Ian Sideman

That's very sad.

I have great memories of the Falcons at the CG. Mauger, Autrey, Holden, Lomas, Sampson, Brendon Julian (?)...who am I missing?

Brian Moore

The 74 team? Frank Shuter was the main one but Peter Thompson & Steve Reinke also rode that legendary year - and how can you get Chris Julian's name wrong - shame on you!
Chris was a bit of a cult hero around the country for his antics, not all of them on the track - he once got nicked for riding his speedway bike down the main road to his local in Indian Queens and on another occasion he had to be bailed from the nick by Wally Mawsdley in order to ride for the Falcons, he had many a fight throughout his career, on and off track - a nutter to the end he managed to get killed in a tragic gyrocopter accident!

Ian Sideman

Cheers Brian. Brendon Julian was an Aussie cricketer :$

Frank Chuter rode in black leathers like Ivan didn't he? Surprised this was as early as '74. Always used to sit in the same seats just above the tapes in the grandstand. Filling in the programme. Reading Speedway Star.

1...3....5....7...Here the roar....

Happy days!

Brian Moore

Thats him - though wasnt Ivan in the green & white chequed leathers by then? Frank Shuter died in a car accident a few years ago - weird how these blokes spend years flying round a track on a bike with no brakes then die in some stupid way after thet give up riding!
Happy days indeed- doesnt look like we'll be seeing speedway in Exeter again though.

iscalad

Very well known Exeweb poster
Sad news indeed. Seems a lot of Exeter sporting legends are dying recently.:(

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=NjbA23ACtsw

Last edited:

Brian Moore

Said he wasnt a bad gater!

ECFC TOM

Very sad news indeed. My dad was upset with the news of this too.

Last edited: