• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Places to drink in nottingham

mightymagpie1862

In response to Yorkie, I have the following info...

There are a few pubs around the ground that let away supporters in and are quite friendly and serve good real ale. Steve from the Pie Fanzine informs me; 'On the main London Road, just across from the hump back bridge over the canal, is the newly refurbished and renamed Globe. A comfortable open-plan pub with good food and 5 ever-changing real ales (children can use the upstairs room). Just the other side of Trent Bridge (although mercifully facing away from that rusting monstrosity with a red tree painted on the side!) is the Southbank, the Globe's sister pub. It also serves excellent food and has sport on the numerous televisions; three real ales are offered here including one from the tiny local Mallards brewery. Just across from the front of the station down Queensbridge Road is the "Vat and Fiddle" situated next door to the Castle Rock micro-brewery. It offers ten real ales and hot and cold food. Children are welcome'.

Chris Rhoades recommends; the 'Trent Bridge Inn'. Chris claims 'The food is locally renowned, especially the pies!' Whilst Tim Cooke a travelling Millwall fan has a different angle (so to speak); 'definitely one for the lads! Hooters (on the main road A6011, on the outskirts of the city centre, you can't miss it!) has very nice waitresses wearing just enough to cover things up, serves lovely beer, and great food. Take my advice, make a weekend of it, Nottingham is a top city!' Alcohol is also available within the ground.

If you are arriving by train and have a bit of time on your hands, then I would suggest that you check out the ‘Olde Trip To Jerusalem’. This historic pub dates back to the 12th century and some of the rooms are ‘cave like’ having been carved out of the rock that Nottingham Castle is situated upon. Add real ale, food and a small beer garden, then it is certainly worth a visit. It is about a five minute walk away from the train station. As you come out of the station turn right. At the top of the road turn left and then take the second right into Castle Road. Just tucked away on the left is the pub.

There is also the Waterfront complex of bars (including a Wetherspoons outlet) which is a short walk from the train station. As you come out of the station turn right. At the top of the road turn right again and the Waterfront complex is just down on the right, located behind the buildings on the main road. There is also a "Hooters" bar in this area, Im sure the lads need no introduction to what they offer...

LOG

Very well known Exeweb poster
If you go to the Olde Trip To Jerusalem, remember to take a torch. It's also unsuitable for anyone over 5' 8" ;)

Is the lovely Yates wine lodge still in the Market Square?

Yorkie

Did you all get that lads and lasses. Hooters sounds a bit iffy mind;) Do you have a social that lets us in?

mightymagpie1862

Yate's winelodge is still thriving, despite its "dont enjoy yourself" approach..:D

Yorkie

Oooops Just checked out HOOTERS!!! Glad my daughter wasnt looking over my shoulder ( and hubby),:$

Oli

Oooops Just checked out HOOTERS!!! Glad my daughter wasnt looking over my shoulder ( and hubby),:$
Hubby might like it.

Yorkie

Hubby might like it.
He MIGHT if hes told:-#

mightymagpie1862

Yorkie
All supporters are welcome to drink in The Wheelers bar which is located on Meadow Lane, close to the club shop. They offer fresh cobs along with live football on the big screen

mightymagpie1862

YATES WINE LODGE

Yates’s Wine Lodge has been a fixture of Nottingham’s Old Market Square for as long as anyone can remember.

Somehow it manages to maintain a successful trade while other bars collapse around it.

The Venue
Yates’s is immense. The downstairs bar stretches up all the way through the mezzanine level to the glass roof. The sheer grime of the place is obvious as soon as you walk through the door.

Carpets – if still intact – are covered with stains and chewing gum. Tables look as though they haven't been wiped in weeks and the faux leather furnishings have seen better days.

There's a small outside section at the front, which is a literal stone's throw from the Market Square. Don’t be fooled by the photos on the website as they couldn't be further from the actual appearance.

The People
Yate's customers have one thing in common - they all want to get drunk and they want to do it as cheaply as possible.

Guys in tracksuits with pints of Stella seemingly surgically attached to their hands ming with girls in mini skirts. It's popular with hen and stag parties and on Saturday nights there's usually an odd assortment of people in here.

The atmosphere can be heavy with anxious anticipation. This isn't helped by the punching machine which sits in the corner and gets a pummelling throughout the night by packs of lads eager to thump something.

The Food and Drink
It seems ironic that Yates's is an advocate of the Drink Aware campaign, as one of its biggest selling points is extremely cheap alcohol.

With pints at an average of £2.20 (a whole £1 cheaper than some of its neighbours) and their house wine at a staggeringly low £4.95, it's not difficult to see how Yates's manages to keep the customers rolling in.

Food is also inexpensive and the variety of deals they have on offer make it more than possible to eat for under £5. You're unlikely to eat anything here that has not been in contact with either a deep fat fryer or a microwave.

Such classics as breaded scampi (£5.75) are served alongside what are claimed to be 100 per cent prime beef burgers (£7.25).

The Last Word
Yates’s is not somewhere to go if you're looking for a swanky night out in a trendy bar. If, on the other hand, you want to get tanked on cheap plonk, then this may well be the ideal bar.

LOG

Carpets – if still intact – are covered with stains and chewing gum.
I always thought that the carpet was made out of glass ;)