• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Morecambe face embargo

Pete Martin (CTID)

Very well known Exeweb poster
Morecambe FC have been told that they have been placed under a transfer embargo.

A report on their web site states:-

The embargo comes after a mid season financial report presented to the authorities by the board in December showed that the club was spending more than its allotted amount on wages.

League 2 rules state that no more than 60% of income can be spent on wages and the club has been told it has to cut the wage bill or receive an injection of cash before the embargo is lifted.

Vice-chairman Graham Hodgson said: "The embargo means we cannot buy or sign loan players at the moment. There are a number of reasons for this, the main one being that the average gate has dropped from 2,800 last season to about 2,100 this season. The fact we didn't have a major run in the FA Cup also means that the income has not met our projected hopes.

"It is something we have to accept and it is something that only happens in clubs at League 2 level and I don't think we will be the only club to be in this position."

Yorkie

Thats a big drop in footfall through the turnstiles. Goes to show how important we all are in showing our support. And lucky to have a manager who wont buy for the sake of buying or to appease people. Wonder if the last statement will prove correct?

irishbrian

Well-known Exeweb poster
You've got to ask how Morecambe, a side that finished a healthy 10th in their first season, have dropped 600/700 on their gate in only their second season up. I would have thought they'd increase the taking through the turnstiles.
Obviously there's a few higher profile clubs around the area I'd say. 2,100 is a poor return, though the club won't be in any real danger of going down.

Gozzer

The novelty has worn off for Morecambe. They haven't performed as well as last year and the 'fans' are turning their backs. Attendances seem to be heading back towards what they were at Conference level. Same thing has happened at Accy and Chester. They may all be safe this season, but they will struggle next. Some of these poorly supported clubs are always going to struggle long term in the League. Dagenham should be worried as well.

But budgeting for Cup runs? Tsk tsk. Asking for trouble.

Mr Jan Yeo

Well-known Exeweb poster
My thoughts exactly [y] They've tied their own noose with that one and deserve whats coming to them IMO. Predicting income will always be tricky but you can never rely on doing well in the cup to fund everything and I just hope that the powers that be at ECFC haven't made the same mistake.

As for the crowd I think that's down to the media, all this fuss about 'credit crunch' has got people being more careful with their money and not going to the football as much.

DB9

Wasn't it found that we budgeted for cup runs a while back when there were questions about break even figures, size of debts etc? Just asking

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, it's true. Unpalatable, but true.

When you consider our break-even (without Cup runs) a few years back was something like 6.5K attendances, it's a measure of how far we have actually come that we are operating comfortably within our wage cap and running well off the field, and on it.

Gozzer

Wasn't it found that we budgeted for cup runs a while back when there were questions about break even figures, size of debts etc? Just asking
If you are asking me, you are asking the wrong person!

As was mentioned, its bad practice. A bit like someone budgeting for getting their boss's job when their boss hasn't even resigned.

Last edited:

east_mid

Well-known Exeweb poster
Any reason for them getting a points deduction for all this next season?

journeyman

Any reason for them getting a points deduction for all this next season?
lol you sound almost hopeful!