• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Amps

ecfc girl

Well-known Exeweb poster
Seen this on a few websites over the years (mostly the BBC) and I just wondered why this happens.

Taken from the fixtures section on our homepage....

Dagenham & Redbridge [a]
13/12/2008
Venue: London Borough of Barking &

Oli

Very well known Exeweb poster
Used to happen on the official site. Often when posted from something like Word (from font 1) into a content management system for a website what does not handle the original font and extra info that comes across.

ecfc girl

Well-known Exeweb poster
Like anything that MB writes on his Mac? ;) Oh god, the hours I spent changing that. I only did it for one article and it was flipping hard work and took me about an hour!

LOG

Very well known Exeweb poster
Its something to do with HTML coding and the use of the ampersand as either coding or in place of "and".

Thats the limit of my knowledge.

Poundstretcher

I think it's probably an XML-HTML conflict reading from a list. XML won't take &, < or > signs so you have to type & or > or < to get them to display. HTML takes every character as entered, with obvious results in this case.

I think.

exeweb

Administrator
Its something to do with HTML coding and the use of the ampersand as either coding or in place of "and".
The man's got it.

Code:
& = &
For some reason vBulletin understands what an ampersand is but vBadvanced doesn't. Will alter that now.