• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Honda F1

MikeB

Can someone explain to me why a Formula One racing team - ie, Honda - require 700 employees to keep a couple of cars on the road?

What do the 700 do?

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Can someone explain to me why a Formula One racing team - ie, Honda - require 700 employees to keep a couple of cars on the road?

What do the 700 do?
335 do health and Safety, 335 fill in paper work. 15 look after Bernie Ecclestone :D, the rest look after the 2 cars.

ECFC TOM

Formula 1 is a joke these days. In answer to Mike's question I'll agree with Hants ;)

Snakebite

Well-known Exeweb poster

What do the 700 do?
I'll give you the sensible answer Mike.

The cars are designed from scratch every season.

They have whole teams working to design the aerodynamics, suspension, engine, gearbox, electrical systems, CFD (computational fluid dynamics), stress testing.

Then they have another load of teams who manufacture scale models of the cars for wind tunnel testing.

Then they have another load of teams who work in the wind tunnels all day testing new parts, analysing results and testing scenario's.

Then you have the manufacturing teams who actually make the full size parts out of Carbon Fibre for full scale testing.

Then you have the mechanics who assemble the jigsaw to produce the car, there are loads of mechanics, some who travel with the testing squad and another load who are the race mechanics who go to the GP's.

Then you have the truckies who drive the cars and parts and motorhomes and hospitality tents around.

Then the tea lady and hospitality people as well.

It is a hell of a setup all the fomula one teams have at their disposal, albeit a seemingly unsustainable one.

Hope that helps :)

Mr Jan Yeo

Well-known Exeweb poster
Watch F1 on any given weekend and see just how many people are involved in the garages. Then you have different sets designing and building cars, another load securing funding (or not as the case may be) people driving lorries to and from tracks. It's a long way from being just keeping some cars on the road :)