• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Terry is our leader

antman

Well-known Exeweb poster
I've never been a fan of John Terry, either much as a player (positionally suspect as a central defender) or as a person (moaning and arrogant - anyone remember when he swiped a red card out of the ref's hand?) but i have to say this week I've been really impressed with him.

First of all, there was his winning goal in Berlin, a really well won header that showed tremendous battling and technical quality. Then there was his statement yesterday about how those players who missed this game should watch out for their places. This is real leadership. We all know that some duck out of friendlies, maybe justifiably in some cases, but then there are those who just retire from international football because they don't like being criticised or played out of position. How dare they? Playing for your country should be an honour and Terry really puts this spirit across. He's rewarding the players who did play with praise and showing to the others they're not indispensable. OK, we all know we can't really do without certain individuals but that message of commitment is crucial right now.

Well done JT.

Unleashed

I've never been a fan of John Terry, either much as a player (positionally suspect as a central defender) or as a person (moaning and arrogant - anyone remember when he swiped a red card out of the ref's hand?) but i have to say this week I've been really impressed with him.

First of all, there was his winning goal in Berlin, a really well won header that showed tremendous battling and technical quality. Then there was his statement yesterday about how those players who missed this game should watch out for their places. This is real leadership. We all know that some duck out of friendlies, maybe justifiably in some cases, but then there are those who just retire from international football because they don't like being criticised or played out of position. How dare they? Playing for your country should be an honour and Terry really puts this spirit across. He's rewarding the players who did play with praise and showing to the others they're not indispensable. OK, we all know we can't really do without certain individuals but that message of commitment is crucial right now.

Well done JT.
Well he is the captain, so he should be setting an example.

You obviously have a short memory though, wasn't that long ago he missed games against Croatia/Kazakhstan then suddenly made a rapid return for Chelsea on the saturday.

Think the guy is overrated imo.

Gozzer

Very well known Exeweb poster
I didn't see much of the match the other night. I presume that Terry didn't spend the whole of the match trying to persuade the ref that he had made the wrong decision and influence his next one. That seems to be the attitude that got him picked for England in the first place.

CREDYGRECIAN

Very well known Exeweb poster
Loving the free flowing entertaining football at S
Always been an outstanding defender - his gob at times got the better of him , but as a leader i think he's top class.