• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

FA Vase Tomorrow

MikeB

Tomorrow I am off to the rolling hills of Derbyshire to watch an FA Vase tie between Glossop North End and Biddulph Victoria.

I've been to Glossop's ground on a couple of occasions before, but Biddulph are certainly a 'new' team as far as I am concerned.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Is that the same club that was once in the League?

MikeB

It is indeed, although they now play at a different ground. The old 'League' ground, a short walk away, is still in use as a cricket ground. Last time I visited there, the original turnstile block was still standing!

Strongbow

Well-known Exeweb poster
Is that the same club that was once in the League?
Yes, although they dont play at the same ground as they did when they were in the league. My lasting memory of when I last visited the ground was a sign in the club house window saying "No Valuables are kept in here - You've had them all already"

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Cheers - I was wondering whether it was still the "same" club, or whether it was another Accrington job. Good to see still the same club!

elginCity

Very well known Exeweb poster
It is indeed
Well, I'll be! :D

Never knew that, and after doing a bit of research discovered Glossop NE at one time were plying their trade in the First Division.

Their benefactors were the Hill-Wood family, now of Arsenal.

MikeB

Well, I'll be! :D

Never knew that, and after doing a bit of research discovered Glossop NE at one time were plying their trade in the First Division. Their benefactors were the Hill-Wood family, now of Arsenal.
Several of their employees played for Glossop NE, hence the connection.

MikeB

Match report from my day at the FA Vase tie between Glossop North End
and Biddulph Victoria now on http://darkrockdiaries.blogspot.com

MikeB

Following today's draw for the Third Round of the FA Vase - ties to be played Saturday 6th December - seems I am in luck!

I could return to Glossop North End to see them play Winterton Rangers, however, Penrith are also at home to Whitley Bay, so all being well, I'll probably go to that one.