• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Calzaghe v Jones Jnr

Jim Shepherd

Woke up and watched this. What a result.

Calzaghe floored in the first but came back and the judges gave him every other round and he got the decision 118-109 on all 3 cards.
Gave RJJ a nasty cut in the seventh which would not stop bleeding and was relentless in coming forward. The stats say he threw i n excess of 1000 punches and landed with 300 or so.

Well done Joe. A fantastic achievement.

International

Well-known Exeweb poster
Before the fight I never thought that the result was in doubt, unfortunately Roy Jones Jnr is not the fighter he once was. Nonetheless he is still a threat, fantastic speed, powerful punches, and it is this combination what contributed to Joe Calzaghe going down in the first round.

The rest of the fight was a boxing masterclass from Calzaghe. Jones caught Calzaghe with a booming uppercut in round six, but Calzaghe's chin once again showed why he has won so many fights. It was a great shot in round seven that opened up a cut over Jones left eye and would have put many a fighter on the back foot, but as Jim mentioned, Jones was still relentless in coming forward.

A great fight from two of the greatest boxers of the modern era, it contained showmanship from both at times, and mutual respect for one another in the ring. The crowd were treated to a fantastic fight, and many in that crowd last night will be lucky if they witness another fight like that in the coming years.

Ben Dirs wrote in his blog, Calzaghe would do well to remember there are rarely any fairytale finishes in boxing and walk away now. I really hope that he doesn't try to have one last fight back home at the Millenium Stadium, although there will be a string of boxers that will try to lure him with one last pay cheque.