• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Unrestricted Editing?

MagzECFC

Is there a reason for only allowing 5 minutes??

Is it possible to increase this?

Thank you!

newburygrecian

The reason is it stops people changing a post to make others look stupid and it keeps the place neat and tidy. If people were allowed to edit whenever they wanted they could get away with anything. Also, an edited post does not count as a new post, so people may miss something important just because it was edited in a couple of hours late.

I imagine it is possible to increase the time limit, but don't think it will happen. You'll just have to be more careful with what you post in the first place :p

LammieLammieLammie

Very well known Exeweb poster
Yep, good reply NG.

I remember when it used to be only 30 seconds!

exeweb

Administrator
I'm not sure I knew it was five minutes!

My personal view is that there should be no time to edit posts after they're made. It is the only way people will learn to take care over what they're posting. The site is so popular now that people often get responses within minutes of posting and people can still go back and edit their preceding message.

MagzECFC

The reason is it stops people changing a post to make others look stupid and it keeps the place neat and tidy. If people were allowed to edit whenever they wanted they could get away with anything. Also, an edited post does not count as a new post, so people may miss something important just because it was edited in a couple of hours late.

I imagine it is possible to increase the time limit, but don't think it will happen. You'll just have to be more careful with what you post in the first place :p
Thanks mate,

Clearly explained :)

Swanaldo

My personal view is that there should be no time to edit posts after they're made.
Then why not make it so? You're the boss, after all.

Personally I would leave a delete function active for a minute or two, for those prone to posting after a sherbet or two :$

StroudGrecian

My personal view is that there should be no time to edit posts after they're made.
I disagree.

People should be made to edit their posts, until orthographically and grammatically perfect, before being allowed to post again.

Swanaldo

People should be made to edit their posts.
Ambiguity. May I suggest 'forced' as a preferable verb form?

geoffwp

edited just in case it makes someone look stupid....or me for that matter

Last edited:

LammieLammieLammie

I'm not sure I knew it was five minutes!
You were the one who suggested it! when I am even more bored than I am now, I will find your post!