• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Controversial Footballers

loobygrecian

Very well known Exeweb poster

Oldsmobile-88

Some of those players are pussycats compared to Norman Hunter,Jack Charlton,Dave Mackay,John Fashanu etc...from the top flight years ago.....Ronaldo would have sh*t himself if he had one of that lot tackling him from behind..

Our own Noel Blake was part of the 'wild bunch' at Birmingham City

Lyme Grecian

Vinnie Jones, Gazza and Pierre Van Hooijdonk, were all controversial.

Antony Moxey

An ill thought out list IMO. I don't think Drogba or Ronaldo are particularly controversial, and along with Cantona are the only ones in that list who are actually any good.

Oldsmobile-88

Vinnie Jones, Gazza and Pierre Van Hooijdonk, were all controversial.
Van Hooijdonk was lucky Cloughie was not manager at Forest,when he refused to play for them....Gary Birtles said,Clough would have had him hung from the main stand roof!!

ECFC TOM

Duncan Ferguson if he were still playing. I guess El Hadji Diouf has been quite controversial.

Oldsmobile-88

At lower FL level,how about Dave Caldwell who played at Torquay in the late 1980's..a total nutcase on the pitch..

I remember Peter Swan playing for Bury at SJP around 73-74 after he had completed a 10 year ban(or there abouts) for taking money to influence games(while he was at Sheff Weds)

Paulo Di Cannio...famous quote " I am a fascist,not a Nazi"...after he is questioned about his salute after scoring for Lazio...Well he has got a tattoo of Mussolini on his arm!!

Last edited:

Unleashed

Paul Davis when he broke C*ckerill's jaw.
Andy Todd is a bit of a nutter too.
Kevin Muscat aussie thug.

Poultice

Fairly ordinary bunch of thugs, druggies and cheats to which you could probably add 50 to 100 more from the recent past, Wise certainly stands out as the horriblist of the horrible trumping Joey B by being equally as horrible on the pitch as he was off it.

I suppose Hughes and McCormick could sneak in cos they actually killed people and Tony Adams cos he might well have done, Merson and Bosnitch for the drugs, Franny Lee for being the original diver, Hurlock for just being horrible, there are just so many any published top ten seems inadequate.

Last edited:

Mackster

The problem with that list is that it assumes football was invented in 1992 with the advent of the Premier League. A similar stat was Chelsea scoring 1,000 Premier League goals which annoyed me. I must balance that annoyance that Liverpool have never won the Premier League though :D

Nastiest footballer I've seen was Vinny Jones. A real borderline nutjob who would have Joey Barton anytime. Had his rough edges knocked off by Hollywood, but the likes of Brad Pitt like hanging around with him because it gives them a bit of street cred.