• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Hockey

brayford grecian

I played it at school for a year or two, and never really enjoyed it. Was always wanting to play football. Anyway, I came to Uni up here and signed up for Football, but was also persuaded to sign up for the hockey team. I went to two seperate football trials and managed to get through both. But all the players were so full of themselves, I went to the hockey practice session and it was totally different, everyone was really helpful and I've since played for the 1st XI a couple of times.
Anyway just wandered if there were any other closet Hockey fans here on Exeweb?

OmanGrecian

Yeah me. I played for Surrey when I was in my school years. Captain of my college team and played for my Uni. Good times. Would love to get back into the sport.

LOG

Very well known Exeweb poster
Hockey is a a girls game. You'll be playing netball next. ;)

brayford grecian

Hockey is a a girls game. You'll be playing netball next. ;)
To be fair I always thought that, until I played it. Very similar to football with contact. Incidently there is no girls hockey team up here, but there is a girls football and girls rugby team.

LOG

Very well known Exeweb poster
We played it at school and i never liked it for two reasons.

Firstly, there was a rule that if you had the ball and someone came in to tackle you, you weren't allowed to turn your back on them to defend it. Why not? I've got the ball, win it off me.

The second reason was an experience in goal. We took it in turns during PE lessons to go in goal. As protection from a solid plastic ball, you were given a stick and shin pads. Whilst it was my turn, the ball was hit with some force at head height towards me. F*ck that i thought and got my ass out of the way. The PE teacher suggested i could've done better.

To be fair, she did have a face like she'd been hit a few times by said ball herself.