• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Tony Adams

CREDYGRECIAN

Very well known Exeweb poster
Loving the free flowing entertaining football at S
New Pompey Manager.....

He struggled at Wycombe , but its a totally different ball game with the standard of player he's now in charge of...

I hope he does well , a proper England Legend.

tisdale 1

Resigned
yeah good luck to the man.good to see the prem starting to fill with english/british managers.

Ian Sideman

New Pompey Manager.....

He struggled at Wycombe , but its a totally different ball game with the standard of player he's now in charge of...

I hope he does well , a proper England Legend.
I have a great deal of respect for Tony Adams, but "a proper England Legend"?!

What's he won with England? Err.....nothing.

Fine Arsenal player for sure, but England Legend, no way.

I guess it depends on your definition of legend.

Pleased to see him get the job. He has the look of a top manager about him.
Of course only time will tell.

Joshyd123

I've got a good feeling that Adams will succeed at Pompey, possibly another FA Cup this season?

Then move on to Arsenal in a few years as either back up to Wenger or as Wenger's replacement.

Good luck to him.

DevonSent

He appears to have served a good apprenticeship for the job by being Harry's no2 for a few years after doing coaching badges in Europe.
He seems to have learnt from his mistake at Wycombe that it isn't a job to jump straight into.
Having said that, an assistant manager with minimal experience as the boss managing a team whose fans expect another big season and in the wake of a very successful Harry R..........big job for him.

I think it will be interesting come January when Harry returns with an open chequebook to snap up some of the better players. They won't be great mates then.

Last edited:

angelic upstart

Do good number twos make good managers as a general rule of thumb the answer is no. TA wont change this sadly.

He is the cheap appointment cos Pompey are about to go bust. I feel for TA though.

ECFC TOM

I cant see Adams lasting long although I wish him the best of luck.

ECFC '72

Laughing at the people showing their true colours
By this time next year he'll be sacked.

Last edited:

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
This is one of those where I'll sit on the fence. Yes, he had a shocker at Wycombe - but then so did a certain Mr Francis at City and he ended up doing OK for himself.

I wish him well in any case - once he faced up to his off-field problems he has been an excellent ambassador for the game.

manc grecian

He thinks speaking slowly makes him sound intelligent.

He will make a right mess of it.